UCCS Wireless Networks
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs's wireless environment is composed of over 1,500 access points, allowing for easy Internet access from within most buildings and also in many areas outdoors (mainly along our pedestrian spine).
Access to UCCS wireless networks is permitted to all students, faculty, staff, and guests of the university. Different access levels with different security requirements are provided through a number of different wireless networks. In order to gain full access, a username and password is required. For students, faculty, and staff, your UCCS username and password are what you will use to log on to the UCCS-Wireless wireless network. If you are a guest, you have a few options. More details can be found below regarding the UCCS-Guest wireless network.
Available Wireless Networks
When choosing from available wireless networks on a device, whether it is a laptop, tablet, or smartphone, you are generally presented with a list of wireless network names. Two different wireless networks are present throughout the UCCS campus, each providing a different level of service. The names of these two wireless networks are UCCS-Wireless and UCCS-Guest.
- If you are student, faculty or staff and have a UCCS username and password, you will want to connect to the UCCS-Wireless network.
- If you are a guest to UCCS and do not have a UCCS username and password, you will want to connect to UCCS-Guest to explore your options.
Click below to view the details of these two wireless networks.
UCCS-Wireless is the full-access secure network intended to be used by all students, faculty, and staff. This network uses WPA2 Enterprise encryption to ensure security. This network provides full access to the Internet. This network requires a username and password to join.
At the time that you connect to this wireless network, you should be prompted for a username and password. If you are a student, staff, or faculty member, this will be the same username and password that you use for everything else on campus such as accessing email or lab computers. If you are a guest, you will use the username and password you requested previously while first accessing the UCCS-Guest network. You can also request a guest username and password by calling or visiting the OIT Help Desk. Also note that the first time you connect to this network, you will be asked to trust our server's security certificate. For more information visit Information about Wireless Certificates.
UCCS-Guest is an open (unsecure) network which does not require any username or password to join - similar to your experience at a place such as a coffee shop. This network does not provide full access. It offers basic http and https access (for general web browsing), but no access to on-campus resources such as network drives. Advanced functionality is limited (some ports and applications are blocked). Should you need access to on-campus resources such as shared network drives, you will need to utilize the UCCS-Wireless network.
Once you connect to the UCCS-Guest network, launch a web browser and you will be prompted with a Captive Portal were you can choose from several options. The options available are outlined below...
- Single-click Access - This option is an easy way to quickly get internet access to resources on the world wide web for a single day. The Single Click Access is designed for temporary, day visitors to campus. Some ports are blocked for security reasons and data usage is capped. When you choose this option, you stay on the UCCS-Guest network, and no username or password is needed. This option provides basic internet access.
- Guest Account - You can use this option to request a temporary username and password from OIT that can then be used to join the UCCS-Wireless network. These temporary accounts are active for a week from the point in time they are created, and can be used to log in to the UCCS-Wireless network (which is secure) in order to gain Internet access and access to on-campus resources. The username and password for these temporary accounts can be delivered to the guest either by email, or through a text message to their phone. Additionally, guests accounts can be obtained by visiting the Office of Information Technology Help Desk. For hours and location see the Get Help page.
- Social Login - This new feature is coming soon.
- Eduroam - This new feature is coming soon.
Anyone connecting to the UCCS Wireless network is required to comply with the UCCS and CU Information Technology Policies. These can be found at the following links:
- 700-002 Responsible Computing
- 700-003 Information Technology
- 700-004 Wireless Network
- 700-005 UCCS Computer Security Policy
Need Help Getting Connected?
If you need further assistance connecting, the links below provide specific instructions for various devices and operating systems. You can also contact the OIT Help Desk for assistance. Visit the OIT Help Desk website to explore the many ways to get in touch with our friendly Help Desk Technicians.