Students from all degree paths are welcome to apply for writing center consultant positions! Don't feel like you need to consider yourself a writing "expert" to apply. We want anyone who is interested in helping their peers with writing to consider joining our team!
Applications are encouraged throughout the academic year. Please fill out the application form and email it and all requested materials to the Writing Center Director, Dr. Matthew Balk, at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Consultant Application" in the subject line.
If you have any questions about the application process or about working at the Excel Writing Center, please call 719-255-4336 or drop by Columbine 316 during our regular business hours to talk with a consultant or Dr. Balk.
- Collaborate with students at all levels and from diverse backgrounds
- Talk with students about their projects and offer insight into the writing process
- Help make better writers, not just better writing
- Learn about writing within a variety of disciplines as you help students master writing for different audiences
- Talk with students across the curriculum about topics ranging from robotics to nursing to Shakespeare to resumes
- Facilitate workshops
- Develop educational materials for workshops and consulting
- Conduct research and assessment projects
- Present at regional and national conferences
- Learn about writing and communication technologies
- Oral communication - Discuss ideas, offer feedback, public speaking
- Interpersonal communication - Work with individuals and on teams
- Creativity - Help students brainstorm, develop ideas, and problem-solve
- Project planning - Improve, maintain, and advertise the Writing Center's services
- Writing Center Consultants successfully complete ENGL 3800/4800: Writing Center Theory and Practice. This course introduces potential consultants to the pedagogy that guides the work of our Writing Center.
- Students with previous Writing Center experience, or those who already hold a BA, may contact the director to discuss alternatives.
- Complete consultation observations and co-consultations at the Writing Center
- A supportive environment and a creative staff
- Leadership and advancement opportunities
- Flexible hours
- Compensation starting at $11.00/hour