Let your voices be heard:
The thirteenth annual Cesar E. Chavez Scholarship competition
The Cesar E. Chavez Scholarship Competition is specifically designed to give students the opportunity to submit critical scholarly work that focuses on a wide range of issues that pertain to equity, diversity, social justice and human rights. Diversity is defined and understood as referring to subjects/issues that pertain to traditionally underrepresented and historically oppressed populations, primarily ethnic and racial minorities, women, LGBTIQ persons, and persons with disabilities.
We welcome research papers and critical essays from all disciplines that shed new light on the topic(s) under consideration. We encourage, when possible, original work. The minimum award is $500.00. Winners will have the opportunity to present their work at an award ceremony, which will be followed by a reception, Tuesday 19 March 2019, 4:30 – 7:00pm, Kraemer Family Library, Second Floor Apse. The competition is open to all currently enrolled undergraduate students matriculating at UCCS, with the exception of previous Cesar Chavez winners. One entry per student or student team.
All entries will be judged according to the quality of the work and the relevance to the scholarship’s central themes.
- Submit all written work via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a word-processed entry form, as well as a fully developed abstract, which contains a clear thesis and establishes the relevance of the submission to the competition’s themes.
- All submissions should conform to the citation/permission system appropriate to the student’s discipline.
- All materials should be clearly labeled and indicate the names of anyone who assisted you with your entry or collaborated with you on your submission.
- If your research includes human subjects you must have IRB (Institutional Biosafety Committee) training.
- Students should be sure to include page numbers, as well as the paper/essay title, on the submission form and abstract, as well as on the entry itself.
Margins: One-inch borders.
Font: New Times Roman, size 12.
Length: Up to 20 pages (double spaced); does not include endnotes or work sited/bibliography. Be sure to include a bibliography or list of works cited. All essays should conform to the citation/permission system appropriate to your discipline.
All entries must be submitted by 12:00pm on Tuesday, 19 February 2019.
***ALL entries will only be accepted via email.
Entry forms are available on the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion website https://www.uccs.edu/diversity/scholarships. Students are encouraged to utilize the resources at the Writing Center. Contact Jane Muller 719.255.4553./ email@example.com with any questions.