Writing across the Curriculum Pre-Semester Faculty Seminar Offered each January and August
This workshop is open to ALL faculty, whether you teach a course that is designated as "Writing Intensive" in the Compass Curriculum or are just interested in using writing more intentionally in your classes.
Join us in a series of 3 meetings as we revise syllabi, revise assignments (or create new ones), and prepare for the coming semester.
- Designing writing assignments that promote learning
- Scaffolding writing assignments
- Articulating connections between reading and writing in course outcomes and activities
- Connecting writing and critical thinking
- Using peer response effectively
- Responding to student writing
- Developing tools to manage the paper load, including rubrics
As part of the seminar, faculty participants will develop or revise a writing assignment and integrate it into their course syllabus.
Faculty participants will receive a stipend for attending all sessions.
If you have already taken the WAC Seminar and would like to repeat it, you are invited to do so with another course in mind or as a refresher regarding your original course of focus.
Call for Applications sent out in June and November
Integrating Writing across the Curriculum Seminar Application
(All faculty, including lecturers, instructors, and tenure-track, are welcome to apply!)
1. What course do you plan to revise with iWAC seminar support?
2. In what semester you will next offer the course? What is the anticipated enrollment?
3. Provide a short description of the course, its main audience, and its role (if any) in your department’s sequence for majors:
4. Have you received designation, or do you plan to submit the course as one of the Compass Components (e.g. Explore, Capstone, Sustainability, Advanced Core, Writing Intensive, etc.)? If so, which one/s?
5. What has been your experience with integrating writing into your courses? (Note that experience is not required for participation)