Anthony Tan is a Canadian Composer, Pianist and Electronic Musician. His music maintains an attention to the psychophysical experiences of sound, reflections on music's cultural context, and influences from past experiences as an Acid-Techno DJ, training as a classical pianist and concert music composer within the Western European music tradition. His composition and research work specializes in the mixing of electronic and acoustic sound mediums, timbre theory and perception, acousmatic music, and free improvisation. He holds a Ph.D. in composition from McGill University (Montréal, Canada), and completed the Meisterklasse in composition from the Carl Maria von Weber Hochschule für Musik (Dresden, Germany).
He has presented his music at major festivals including the Warsaw Autumn Festival (Poland), Kontraklang (Germany), Tonlagen (Hellerau, Germany), Imatronic (ZKM, Germany), SMC Sound and Music Computing Conference (2014, Sweden), 2013 NYC electroacoustic festival (USA), ICMC - International Computer Music Conference (2009 Montreal, and 2010 New York), Matrix '10, '11, and '15 at the Experimental Studio (Germany), Domain Forget (Quebec), the IRCAM Computer Music workshops at Centre Acanthes (France), the National Arts Centre Composer's Program (Canada) and the Academie Internationale de Composition du Blanc-Mesnil (France). Also involved with music for contemporary dance, he has written for the Merce Cunningham School (USA), Tangente (Canada), and Ephemeral Industry (Canada) and the Bravo!FACT (Canada) dance movie commissions. Commissioned by numerous international ensembles, Anthony has written for Ensemble Recherche, the Dresden Philharmonie, LUX:NM, Architek Percussion, Ensemble Contemporaine de Montréal, Les Cris de Paris, Ensemble Cairn, L'Orchestre de la Francophonie Canadienne, Le Nouvel Ensemble Moderne, the New Orford String Quartet, Turning Point Ensemble, and the New Music Concerts Ensemble.
- Ph.D. in Acoustic and Electronic Music Composition, and Music Perception - McGill University
- Meisterklasse (Advanced Artistic Diploma) in Acoustic and Electronic Music Composition - Hochschule für Musik Carl Maria von Weber, Dresden
- M.Mus. in Acoustic and Electronic Music Composition - McGill University
- B.Mus. in Composition, and Piano Performance - University of Calgary
- Artist Diploma in Piano Performance - Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto
Selected Fellowships, Awards, and Residencies
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study (RI '17), Harvard University, USA
- Banff Center for the Arts, Winter Musicians in Residence, Canada
- SWR Experimental Studio, Germany - Residencies (2013, 2015, 2018)
- Voix Nouvelles, Fondation Royaumont, France
- Giga-Hertz Förder Prize for Electronic Music, Germany
- International Competition for live-electronics of the Hamburg Klangwerktage, Germany