This evening I went to the farmhouse and got the bread prepared for our sourdough workshop tomorrow! I also spent some time cracking grain for our loaf breads tomorrow as well. Similar to yesterdays post, I wanted to attach some photos of the process so that everyone was able to see!
Step 1: Mixing the bread
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl (1 kilo)
- Add starter to the flour (100-150g starter per kilo)
- Add water to the bowl (75-80% hydration—750ml-800ml per kilo)
- Add salt to the bowl (1 tbsp per kilo)
Step 2: After dough is mixed
- After mixing, the dough should be a soft & sticky mass, place a warm wet towel over top of the bowl and put on the counter out of the way
Cracking grain simply means placing the grain into the mill on the largest setting so that it breaks the grain apart into smaller pieces rather than milling into flour.