On Campus Employer FAQ

SEPO stands for Student Employee Position Offer. This is the basic job action from used to hire a new student employee, hire a student into an additional job, or re-hire a student.

  1. Create a job description (include on SEPO)
  2. Create a base compensation rate and plan (include on SEPO)
  3. Post your open job on SEAN for at least 3 days (required  for ALL student employee positions)
  4. Collect applications/resumes
  5. Review applicants and interview, communicate with both those who will be interviewed and those who will not be interviewed.
  6. After the interviews offer the job to the candidate best meeting your needs (if your position requires a background check offer contingent upon a successful background check), communicate with both the candidate who you offer the job to and to those you did not.
  7. Report a Hire on SEAN
  8. Complete the SEPO to hire the student employee
  9. Have the student complete initial hire paperwork and visit the Student Employment Office for orientation
  10. The student should bring valid identification and their original Social Security Card with them to complete all required hire paperwork.

Wage Change Offer forms should be completed to have a merit raise or promotion increase in pay processed. An evaluation must be included with any wage change offer.

A Termination Notice should be completed to terminate a student employee.

The only difference in hiring a work study student employee vs and hourly student employee is how your budget will be impacted. A work study student will only be paid 26% of their wage from your department’s speedtype up to their award amount while a student hourly will be paid 100% from your department’s speedtype.

Departments contribute 26% of a work study student employee’s pay up to their award amount, anything earned beyond the award amount is paid 100% by the department.

When a work study student employee uses up their work study award a department will pay 100% of earnings beyond the award amount. If the department has the budget to do this the student can continue working as needed by the department. If the department does not have the budget to continue to keep a student employee working beyond their award amount they should let the student know this up front and should work to spread the work study award amount over the term.

Student employees are paid hourly. The student employee will enter their time in the MyLeave system or approved alternative and hours are submitted bi-weekly for pay.

Students are paid bi-weekly.

You will need to complete an HCM System Access Request and complete any necessary trainings before submitting the request. Contact the Human Resources Office for specific instructions.

In most cases, the missed pay should be reported to Student Employment via a late pay request in Cherwell.

Yes, both a basic and an advanced supervisor training program are offered in the fall and spring terms each year.

Yes, on-campus employers can hire a work study student employee.

You will post your available positions on SEAN, click here for instructions.

When a student is not enrolled at least half-time or consistently works 40 hours per week they will be required to contribute to the Student Retirement Plan and the department will see a 1.45% Meditax charge. This will happen mostly over the summer term, winter break, and/or spring break.

All of these can be found on the Personnel Roster report in the HCM system. Go to the CU HCM User Workcenter and access the Personnel Roster by clicking on the "Resources" tab.