The Accelerated Master’s Degree Program in Sociology offers highly-qualified UCCS sociology majors the opportunity of pursuing the Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Sociology and Masters of Arts (MA) in Sociology. The main benefit of the program is that it allows for up to nine credit hours to be used for both the BA and MA. The program is a designed to be a five-year program for currently enrolled University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) Sociology majors. This program is intended to serve the interests of our students by facilitating earning their graduate degree in an expedited process. In the junior year students will fill out an "intent application". This will be approved by the sociology department and routed to Undergraduate Advising who then places a sub plan on this student's undergraduate account. This application means a student is CURRENTLY eligible for the accelerated master's and if continues to be eligible will be able to apply on the graduate level side as an Accelerated Master's student during their final year in their Bachelor's degree program.
The Accelerated MA in Sociology program allows students to count 9 semester credits toward both the Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Master in Sociology programs. In order for credit to be double-counted, the following conditions must be met:
- Dual credit courses are approved by the Graduate Director of Sociology
- Dual credit courses must be completed with a B+ or better
- Dual credit courses must be taken for graduate credit (5000 level)
- Dual credit courses must be offered by the department of sociology at UCCS
Accelerated MA in Sociology Application Process
Current UCCS sociology majors are eligible to apply after meeting the following:
- Completed the University of Colorado Colorado Springs’s lower division core curriculum (LAS general education requirements).
- Completed 90 semester credit hours
- Transfer students must complete at least 24 credit hours of sociology courses at UCCS before applying to the Accelerated program.
- Completed the following 15 semester credit hours in sociology:
- Soc 1110 Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 3070 Research Methods
- Soc 3150 Social Theory
- Soc 3170 Social Statistics
- Minimum 3.25 overall cumulative GPA
- Minimum 3.33 cumulative GPA in sociology courses
Students can apply for the Accelerated program in their junior or senior year after completion of the above requirements (but students will most likely apply during the second semester of their junior year.) The submission deadline is Nov 1st for admission to the spring semester and by April 15th for admission to the fall semester.
If a student decides this program seems like a good fit, the first step is to submit the intent application. This form will be approved by the graduate director and placed on your undergraduate record. This allows the university to know that you intend to enter in to the master's program with these dual counting courses. The approval of the intent application also allows a student to begin taking graduate level courses that will count towards both programs.
- AMP Process from Start to Finish
- Intent Application
- Accelerated MA in Sociology
- Accelerated MA in Sociology Application Form
- Personal statement of purpose
- One letter of recommendation from a UCCS Sociology faculty member
- An unofficial transcript
- Accelerated MA in SOC Flyer
During your final year of your bachelor's degree, you will apply to the graduate program using the online graduate school application. If you are still eligible, you will be admitted in to the AMP graduate program, which allows you to use the graduate level courses you are taking as a bachelor's student towards your master's degree as well. No letters of recommendation are required, and the GRE requirement is waived. If interested in the AMP program, please follow the following link and then click on the link labeled Traditional Applicant. When prompted for a list of recommendation writers, please leave this information blank.
Admission to the MA in Sociology program is competitive. Applicants will be evaluated on the following:
- Grade point average (overall and in sociology course work)
- Grade trend (improving, consistent, or declining)
- Likelihood of success and persistence based from the statement of purpose
- Reference Letter
Students who are not admitted to the Accelerated MA in Sociology program are eligible to reapply after completing an additional 12 semester credit hours. Students can apply and be considered for admission to the Accelerated MA in Sociology program a maximum of two times. The Sociology Graduate Director will be responsible for admissions procedures and decisions.
- Once admitted into the Accelerated MA in Sociology program, (while an undergraduate student), accelerated students complete three graduate courses with a minimum grade of 3.25 in each course. They must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.25 in all coursework and in coursework applied to their major.
- After completion of the 9 graduate credits (which count toward both their BA and MA) and 111 undergraduate credits, students will be considered graduate students. They must meet all master’s degree requirements except for the three courses (9 credits) they completed as undergraduates. If a student took a combined 4000/5000 course at the 4000 level, they cannot take the same combined course at the 5000 level.
- Issues of satisfactory academic progress, petition/appeal, transfer credit and grievance will be the responsibility of the Accelerated program administrator with participation by the Sociology Chair and Graduate Dean as appropriate. The Accelerated program administrator will be responsible for dismissing or placing on probation those students who do not maintain the minimum requirements stated above.
- Students who drop out or are dismissed from the Accelerated program and have not yet had their mid-program review will be eligible to complete their Bachelor’s degree, subject to the normal rules of that program. Students who drop out or are dismissed from the Accelerated program after having had a successful mid-program review will be awarded the BA. They will be eligible to apply to the Sociology Master’s program and transfer credits (subject to normal limitations) that were not used toward the Bachelor of Arts.
- Within two weeks of being accepted in the Accelerated MA program, student will complete a Plan of Study form indicating how the student intends to complete the 30 credit hours based on projected MA courses in next 2-3 years along with the BA degree program.
Tuition and Fees
- Students will be assessed tuition and fees at the undergraduate rate until the Bachelor of Arts in Sociology degree is conferred. Students will assess tuition and fees at the graduate level upon formal acceptance to the Sociology Masters program.
- See Dr. Jeffrey Montez de Oca, ACAD Office #431, (719) 255-4138 or email@example.com for further information.
Expedited Early Admission
B.A. from the UCCS Sociology department, with a minimum GPA of 3.25 overall, and 3.33 in the Sociology major. Admission is guaranteed pending review of application by departmental faculty. No letters of recommendation are required, and the GRE requirement is waived. Please follow this link and click on Current UCCS Undergraduate Students from the UCCS Graduate School. Then, click on the link labeled Download Application. Complete the application and submit it to the Graduate Director along with a $60 check and your statement of purpose.