Hilary Smith is an Assistant Professor in the Sociology department at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. She received her Ph.D. (2008) and M.S. in Justice Studies from Arizona State University, and her B.S. in Criminal Justice and Sociology from Texas Christian University. Her research interests include youth homelessness, violence against girls and women, the role of race/ethnicity and gender in juvenile court processes, the sociology of drugs, and deviance. Her work has recently appeared in Criminology, the Annual Review of Law and Social Science, the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, and the American Behavioral Scientist. She currently teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in deviance, drugs and addiction, homelessness, and research methods.
- Zatz, Marjorie S. and Hilary Smith. 2015. "Understanding immigration, crime and victimization in the United States: Patterns and paradoxes in traditional and new destination sites" (pp 26-40) in Sharon Pickering & Julie Ham (eds),The Routledge Handbook on Crime and International Migration. NY: Routledge.
- Dickson, Lynda, Richard Dukes, Hilary Smith and Noel Strapko. 2014. Stigma of Ink: Tattoo attitudes among college students. The Social Science Journal, 51 (2): 268-276.
- Zatz, Marjorie S. and Hilary Smith. 2012. Immigration, Crime and Victimization: Rhetoric and Reality. Annual Review of Law and Social Science, 8, 141-159.
- Rodriguez, Nancy, Hilary Smith and Marjorie S. Zatz. 2009. "Youth is Enmeshed in a Highly Dysfunctional Family System:" Exploring the Relationship among Dysfunctional Families, Parental Incarceration, and Juvenile Court Decision Making. Criminology, 47: 177-208.
- Smith, Hilary, Nancy Rodriguez, and Marjorie S. Zatz. 2009. Race, Ethnicity, Class and Noncompliance with Juvenile Court Supervision. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 623: 108-120.
- Smith, Hilary. 2008. Searching for Kinship: The Creation of Street Families among Homeless Youth. American Behavioral Scientist, 51: 756-771.
- Smith, Hilary, Nancy Rodriguez and Marjorie S. Zatz. 2005. "No Place For Girls To Go: How Juvenile Court Officials Respond to Substance Abuse Among Girls and Boys." In Karen Heimer & Candace Kruttschnitt (Eds.), Gender and Crime: Patterns of Victimization and Offending. NY: NYU Press.