Jay Coakley, Ph.D.
After 33 years in the Sociology Department at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, I retired from full-time teaching in 2005. Today I continue to write, do research, and lecture on sociology of sport topics
The primary focus of my professional life continues to be revising Sports in Society: Issues and Controversies, with the 12th edition published in 2017 (McGraw-Hill Education).
To meet regional needs for a sociology of sport textbook, I partnered with Peter Donnelly (University of Toronto) to produce two Canadian editions of Sports in Society, the second of which was translated into Japanese; Elizabeth Pike (University of Chichester) and I have produced two editions for students in the UK and Europe; and Chris Hallinan (Monash University), Brent McDonald (Victoria University), and I produced the second Australia edition of Sports in Society. Finally, a Southern African version of Sports in Society, coauthored with Cora Burnett (University of Johannesburg), was published in 2014.
Sports in Society is also translated into Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. Other books include the Handbook of Sports Studies, co-edited with Eric Dunning (Leicester University) and published by Sage in 2000; and Inside Sports, co-edited with Peter Donnelly (University of Toronto), published by Routledge in 1999 and translated into Korean in 2011.
My recent research has dealt with sport mega-event legacy issues, sport and national identity, and sport and development. My focus on youth sports has continued as I have worked with Project Play, sponsored by the Aspen Institute and focused on reinventing youth sports so they are organized in age appropriate terms and focused on the health and overall development and well-being of young people.
I earned M.A. (1970) and Ph.D. (1972) degrees in sociology from the University of Notre Dame (1971 and 1972, respectively), and completed an undergraduate degree in sociology and psychology at Regis University in Denver, Colorado (1966). Since 2003 Nancy Coakley and I have lived in Fort Collins, Colorado to be close to our daughter and her family.
To schedule a lecture, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-416-1325 (home, land phone) or 970-231-6420 (cell). Additional information about Sports in Society and resources for instructors teaching courses on this topic is at http://www.mheducation.com/highered/product/sports-society-issues-controversies-coakley/M0073523542.html.
Selected Recent Publications
- (2017) “Sociology of Sport.” In Kathleen Odell Korgen, ed. The Cambridge Handbook of Sociology: Vol 1—Core areas in sociology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- (2016) “Youth sports in the United States.” Pp. 84-97 in Ken Green & Andy Smith, eds. Routledge Handbook of Youth Sport. London/New York: Routledge. (2016) “Retombées des méga-événements sportifs, un examen critique.” Alternatives Sud: Sport et Mondialisation—Points de Vue du Sud 23(1): 157-173 (with Doralice Lange de Souza).
- (2016) "Drug Use and Deviant Overconformity [in sports]." In Verner Møller, Ivan Waddington & John Hoberman, eds., The Routledge Handbook of Drugs and Sport (pp. 379-392). London: Routledge.
- (2016) "Positive Youth Development Through Sport: Myths, Beliefs, and Realities." Pp. 21-33 in Nicholas L. Holt, ed., Positive Youth Development Through Sport (2nd edition). London: Routledge.
- (2015) Sports in Society: Issues and Controversies (11th edition). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- (2015) "Legados de megaeventos esportivos: considerações a partir de uma perspectiva crítica." Revista Brasileira de Educação Física e Esporte (Brazilian Journal of Physical Education and Sport) 29(4): 675-686. (with Doralice Lange de Souza)
- (2015) "Mega sporting events and public funding of sport in Brazil (2004-2011)." Leisure Studies 35(3): 369-386 (with Suélen Barboza Eiras de Castro, Fernando Augusto Starepravo & Doralice Lange de Souza).
- (2015) "Assessing the Sociology of Sport: On Cultural Sensibilities and the Great Sport Myth." International Review for the sociology of Sport 50(1): 402-406. (2014) "Sport and Socialization." In George Ritzer, ed., Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology. New York: Blackwell.
- (2013) "Youth Sports." In David Levinson & Karen Christensen, eds. Encyclopedia of World Sport (3rd Edition, online). Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing. (2013) "Sport Mega-Events: Can Legacies and Development Be Equitable and Sustainable?" (with Doralice de Souza, Federal University of Paraná) Motriz, Rio Claro 19(3): 580-589.
- (2012) "Federal government funding and sport: The case of Brazil, 2004-2009." International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics 4(3): 411-426 (with Barbara Schausteck de Almeida, Wanderley Marchi, Júnior & Fernando Augusto Starepravo; all at Federal University of Paraná).
- (2011) "Youth sports: What counts as 'positive development'?" Journal of Sport and Social Issues 35(3): 306-324.
- (2011) "Ideology Doesn't Just Happen: Sports and Neoliberalism." ALESDE Revista 1(1): 67-84. Online, http://ojs.c3sl.ufpr.br/ojs2/index.php/alesde/issue/archive.
Selected Recent Presentations
- (2015) "Special topics in leisure, sports and society-sports in society." A series of six presentations for faculty and graduate students, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil (May 6-15).
- (2015) "College Sports at a Turning Point: Implications for Athletes." Presentation at the 7th Annual SPEAR Conference (Social Issues in Sport, Exercise, and Performance, Florida State University, February 16-17.
- (2015) "Youth Sports Today: New Experiences for Young People." Presentations at the 7th Annual SPEAR Conference (Social Issues in Sport, Exercise, and Performance, Florida State University, February 16-17.
- (2014) "Olympic Dreams: Impact on Youth Sports and Lifelong Participation in Physical Activities." Address given at a Leisure Sports Seminar and book launch in Budapest, Hungary (November 20).
- (2014) "Leveraging the Games: Beyond Olympic Legacies." Keynote address, 4th International Seminar of Olympic Studies: Preservation of memory: The social responsibility of the Olympics Games, Sao Paulo, Brazil (October 17)
- (2014) "Legacy vs Leverage: Approaches to Hosting Sport Events." Keynote address at the 4th Congress of the Asociación Latinoamericana de Estudios Socioculturales del Deporte (ALESDE), Bogota, Columbia (October 23).
- (2014) "Sport Studies: A 360-Degree Window to the World." Keynote address at the conference, Science, Higher Education and Business: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Sport Studies, Research and Development in the Caribbean; University of the West Indies, Trinidad and Tobago (January 16).
- (2013) "The Art and Origins of American Youth Sports." Presentation (with Charles Brock, Curator, National Museum) at the Aspen Institute Project Play Summit, Aspen, Colorado; April 10, 2013.
- (2013) "Building Brasil through Sports: Is It Worth the Cost?" Presentation (with Barbara Schausteck de Almeida) for the Department of Sport Management and Development, University of Chichester, West Sussex, UK; April 22.
- (2013) "Pushing Limits: Sport, Spectacle & Performance Enhancement." Presentation at the University of Chichester, West Sussex, UK; April 23.
- (2013) "Doping Control in Sports: Ineffective Strategies, Misplaced Resources." Keynote presentation at the Conference of the International Network of Humanistic Doping Research-"What do we (really) know about doping?" Aarhus, Denmark; August 15.
- (2012) "Integración Social y Deporte: Posibilidades y limitaciones globales ("Social Integration and Sport: Global Possibilities and Limitations"). Keynote address at the Congress of Asociación Latinoamericana de Estudios Socioculturales del Deporte (ALESDE) - "Sport & Physical Activity in the Process of Latin American Integration; Concepción, Chile; October 25.
- (2012) "Current Trends in Sociology of Sport." & "Youth Sport-for-Development: Problems & Prospects." Presentations to Faculty & Students, Norwegian University of Sport & Physical Education, Oslo, Norway; May 7.
- (2012) "Life on the Margins: Forging Careers in the Sociology of Sport." Keynote address-The Social Science of Sport: Scientific Quality, Position, and Relevance; Malmö, Sweden; April 19-21.
- (2012) "Social Class & Sports: Money, Status, & Power in Sports." & "The Power & Prevalence of Neoliberalism: Implications for Sports." Presentations to Sports Studies Faculty & Students, University of Ljubjana, Slovenia; March 29-30.
- (2012) "University Fault Lines: Escalating Tensions Between Athletics & Academics." Keynote speech, Boston College speaker series on Athletics and the Academy: Towards 2020. Boston, MA; March 21.
- (2012) "A Balanced Olympic Legacy: Is It Possible?" Presentation at the University of Brasilia; March 1.