Budget Office FAQs / Tips

  • To increase revenue budgets, use the " - " sign and to decrease revenue budgets, use no sign.
  • To increase expenditure budgets, use no sign and to decrease expenditure budgets, use the " - " sign.
  • General fund BJEs MUST balance (debits = credits)
  • No crossing of funds when entering BJEs
  • Transfer-ins are treated as revenue (follow the rules for revenue)
  • Transfer-outs are treated as expenditures (follow the rules for expenditures)
  • Only the Budget Office can approve and post BJEs
  • BJEs are processed to adjust budgets only; if you are moving actual expenditures or actual revenue, you must process a JE
  • Cash transfers MUST be requested through the Accounting Office
  • Carryforward is the General Fund available balance (base + temporary budgets - actuals) at fiscal year end (through period 998) that must be requested and approved by the appropriate Vice Chancellor.  There are two categories of carryforward: mandatory and requested.  Mandatory items are those that have funding that is allocated for a specific use, such as fees, awards, and grants (CRCW, PFH).  Requested items are subjected to a 20% tax to help cover budgetary deficits and/or campus commitments.
  • Rollforward is the process where all BASE budgets in all funds from the prior fiscal year are automatically established in the current fiscal year.
  • Base budgets are also known as continuing budgets.  These budgets will be part of the Rollforward process.
  • Temporary budgets can be established in the current fiscal year and will adjust budgets for that current fiscal year ONLY.  Any temporary budget adjustments will not rollforward.

 **reviewed  08/18/2016- SR