UCCS is committed to eliminating its energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG)emissions. By being a student at UCCS, you are now part of the mission. It is all about the choices you make because they have an effect on our campus community. To more about the UCCS Office of Sustainability, visit their website HERE.
Making Residence Halls More Sustainable
In an effort to make the residence halls more sustainable, there have been retrofits done to the interior and exterior of the buildings:
- High efficiency shower heads have been added to Summit Village. These shower heads put out 1.5 gallons per minute (gpm) rather than the 2.5 gpm
- Hydration stations are installed in Copper, Eldora, LaPlata, Cucharas, and San Juan to help eliminate plastic water bottle use on campus and plastic bottles from entering the landfills
- LED overhead lighting will help to conserve energy while lasting longer than traditional incandescent bulbs and are more cost effective
- Outside rain garden will take advantage of rainfall and stormwater runoff to nurture plant selections
- Copper and Eldora Residence Halls are LEED Gold certified, with LaPlata and Cucharas Houses are also hoping to gain that certification. This certificate recognizes that these design projects have met the Environmental Protection Agency's criteria for energy efficiency
Now, what can you do to help?
- Take a five-minute shower. If you normally take ten-minute showers, that's conserving 50% more water instantly.
- Don't let the water run while you brush your teeth.
- Recycle your cardboard by flattening the box and laying it in the cardboard recycling bin.
- Consider CFL and LED light bulbs for your task lights.
- Turn off your bedroom light and computer when leaving the room.
- Use a power strip to easily turn off your appliances at once.
- Use natural daylight instead of turning the lights on.
- Share a small refrigerator with your roommate.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® certified sticker on any appliances you purchase.
- Wear a sweater when you are cold instead of turning the heat up.
- Spread the word! Knowledge is power. By letting your friends know what they can do, all of us will work together to help make UCCS more sustainable.
Want to get more involved in sustainability on campus? Visit the Office of Sustainability or call 719.255.3089 to find out more.