Turkey Meatball Subs - Download Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup lentils
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 24-oz. jar marinara sauce
- 8 crusty sub-style rolls
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces sliced provolone
- Whisk eggs with 3 Tbsp. water. Stir the bread crumbs; let stand 5 minutes. Add Parmesan, parsley, garlic, and turkey; mix gently until well combined. Moisten hands and roll mixture into 24 1 1/2 inch balls. Transfer to a dish large enough to accommodate all meatballs. Refrigerate meatballs for 30 minutes.
- Pour marinara into a wide, deep pot with a lid and warm over medium-high heat. Add meatballs (sauce will not completely cover meatballs), cover and cook 10 minutes. Uncover and turn meatballs. Cover; cook 10 minutes longer, until meatballs are no longer pink inside (cut one to test).
- Preheat broiler to high. Cut rolls lengthwise and drizzle inside each with 1 tsp. olive oil. Divide cheese among rolls and place on baking sheet. Broil until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place three meatballs on each roll and spoon sauce over. Serve immediately.
Interested in learning more about nutrition and health? Call the Wellness Center at 255-4444 and schedule an appointment one of our dietitians, Alyssa Shrader, Merri Metcalfe or Yuka Sanui.