Southwest Stuffed Winter Squash - Download Recipe
Makes 6 servings (1/2) squash
- 3 small delicate squash, halved and seeded
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5oz. ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1, 15oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Brush cut sides of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place face down on a large baking sheet and bake until tender and browned on the edges, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly coat a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring to break up with a wooden spoon until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion and bell pepper stirring often until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, chili powder and cumin and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans and salt scraping up any browned bits.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the tomatoes are broken down, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- When the squash are tender, reduce oven temperature to 325F. Fill the squash halves with the turkey mixture and top with cheese. Place on the baking sheet and bake until the filling is heated through and cheese is melted, about 8 to 10 minute
Recipe derived from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249499/southwestern-stuffed-acorn-squash/