These tips are designed to help you protect yourself on campus, in town, at your home, or while you travel. These are preventative tips and are designed to instruct you in crime prevention tactics.
Never falsely pull a fire alarm. A false alarm endangers everyone, increases the costs of fire protection and is a crime under Colorado State Law (CRS 18-8-111).
- If you smoke, be sure ashes are cold before dumping them. Smoking in university facilities is prohibited. Remember to smoke only in designated areas.
- Never leave electrical appliances unattended when in use.
- If you are a housing resident, be sure to read and understand housing policies.
- Follow all campus rules about candles, incense, bottled gas, etc.
- Don't plug too many cords into one outlet! The result can be an overloaded circuit.
- Don't store flammable liquids in offices or residential halls.
- Dispose of all trash properly so there is no chance of fire.
- Know where the fire extinguishers are located and how to use them.
- Know where the fire alarms are and, if there is a fire, pull the fire alarm immediately.
- Know where the fire exits are and be sure they can open easily and are free of clutter.