The following describes the procedure used in the event of an injury, illness, or death. This procedure encompasses all people who are on university property.
DO NOT CALL THE STUDENT HEALTH CENTER!
PROCEDURESContact Public Safety at ext. 3111 or 255-3111 from an outside line.
When you make contact with the dispatcher
- Identify yourself and your location.
- Give the location of the victim and his or her identity, if known.
- Describe the victim's condition (breathing, alert, bleeding, etc.).
- Do not hang up until the dispatcher tells you to do so or hangs up first.
- Send someone to the facility entrance doors to open them and direct emergency response personnel.
Initial Response Aid
- First survey the area to see if it is safe to enter.
- Respond quickly, using accepted standards of care.
- Do not attempt to move anyone who is unconscious, has a broken limb or injured back. Keep the person from moving.
- Administer first aid as trained. Practice universal precautions to avoid exposure to blood.
- Check for breathing/open airway, and administer rescue breathing if needed.
- Administer CPR if needed (and you are trained).
- Try to stop severe bleeding.
- Treat for shock and make patient comfortable.
- Get all information concerning the victim and accident or illness if person is conscious (signs, and symptoms, allergies, medication taken, pertinent past illnesses, last oral intake, events leading to pertinent past illnesses, events leading to the illness/injury).
- If contact was made with blood or body fluids contact the Emergency Coordinator.
REPORTINGAfter contacting Public Safety, and after meeting with the University Police, contact your supervisor.