Sandy K. Wurtele, Ph.D.
Professor Sandy K. Wurtele, Ph.D. joined the UCCS faculty in 1988. She earned her Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology in 1983, with a specialty in child clinical psychology, from the University of Alabama. She completed an APA-Approved internship at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, and is a Licensed Psychologist in Colorado. She served as the Director of the Psychology Undergraduate program and Chair of the UCCS Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects. From 2012 to 2018, Dr. Wurtele served as Associate Dean for the College and was founding director of the Service-Learning Internship and Community Engagement (SLICE) Center.
*The Director of Undergraduate Education leads a committee that is responsible for determining course offerings, psychology major and minor requirements, and department policies related to undergraduate education. The Director of Undergraduate Education also handles student requests for course substitutions, waivers of degree requirements, and course transfer requests, and acts as a liaison to advisors in Student Success.
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa, 1983
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa, 1980
- B.A. Psychology, University of Nebraska/Lincoln, 1977
Areas of Interest
Child Maltreatment; Childhood Trauma; Adverse Childhood Experiences; Adults' Sexual Interest in Children; Childhood Sexual Abuse & Exploitation; Child Sex Trafficking; Primary Prevention; Parent Education
- PSY 1100 - The Profession of Psychology
- PSY 3620 - Developmental Psychology
- PSY 3640 - Psychology of Exceptional Children
- PSY 3630 - Sex Crimes Against Children
- PSY 3660 - Service-Learning Internship in Psychology
- PSY 4620 - Seminar in Developmental Psychology
- PSY 4990 - Teaching of Psychology
- Wurtele, S. K. (2012). Preventing the sexual exploitation of minors in youth-serving organizations. Children and Youth Services Review, 34, 2442-2453.
- Wurtele, S.K. & Miller-Perrin, C. L. (2012). Global efforts to prevent the sexual exploitation of minors. In H. Dubowitz (Ed.), World perspectives on child abuse (10th ed.) (pp. 82-88). The International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.
- Wurtele, S.K., Simons, D. A., & Moreno, T. A. (2014). Sexual interest in children among an online sample of men and women: Prevalence and correlates. Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment, 26(6), 546-568.
- Wurtele, S. K. & Kenny, M. C. (2016). Technology-related sexual solicitation of adolescents: A review of prevention efforts. Child Abuse Review, 25, 332-344.
- Miller-Perrin, C., & Wurtele, S. K. (2017). Sex trafficking and the commercial sexual exploitation of children. Women and Therapy, 40(1-2), 123-151.
- Wurtele, S. K. (2018). University students’ perceptions of child sexual offenders: Impact of classroom instruction. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 27(3), 276-291.
- Wurtele, S. K., Simons, D. A., & Parker, L. J. (2018). Understanding men's self-reported sexual interest in children. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 47(8), 2255-2264.
- Wurtele, S. K., Mathews, B., & Kenny, M. C. (2019). Keeping students out of harm’s way: Reducing risks of educator sexual misconduct. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse.
- Association for Psychological Science
- International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect
Honors & Awards
- 2009 William Friedrich Memorial Child Sexual Abuse Award
American Psychological Association
- Psychologist, State of Colorado