Lori E. James, Ph.D.
Dr. James came to UCCS in 2001 from a post-doctoral position at the University of California, Los Angeles. She earned her Ph.D. and M.A. in Cognitive Psychology from the Claremont Graduate School in Claremont, CA. Dr. James' main research areas are memory, language, and age-related changes in these abilities. She primarily teaches courses in cognitive psychology and research methodology, and served as the department’s Director of Undergraduate Training from 2011-2019.
- Post-Doctoral, Cognition and Aging Lab, University of California, Los Angeles, 1997 - 2001
- Ph.D. Cognitive Psychology, Claremont Graduate School, 1997
- M.A. Cognitive Psychology, Claremont Graduate School, 1994
- B.A. Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
Areas of Interest
Cognitive psychology, language, memory, and cognitive aging
- PSY 1100 - The Profession of Psychology
- PSY 2110 - Introduction to Psychological Research and Measurement
- PSY 3130 - Learning and Cognition
- PSY 4130 - Seminar in Learning and Cognition
- PSY 5210 - Psychology of Aging I
- PSY 6110 - Cognition
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the UCCS Campus, 2019
- Outstanding Research Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2014
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2011
- Association for Psychological Science
- Psychonomic Society
Representative Publications (* represents student collaborators)
- *Metz, M. & James, L.E. (2019). Specific effects of the Trier Social Stress Task on speech fluency in young and older adults. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, 26, 558-576.
- James, L.E., *Schmank, C., *Castro, N., & Buchanan, T.W. (2018). Tip of the tongue states increase under evaluative observation. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research, 47, 169-178.
- *Castro, N., & James, L.E. (2014). Differences between young and older adults' speech in descriptions of negative versus neutral pictures. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, 21, 222-238.
Representative & Recent Service/Leadership Roles
UCCS Psychology Department Director of Undergraduate Training, 2011-2019