Frederick L. Coolidge, Ph.D.
Professor Frederick L. Coolidge received his BA, MA, and PhD from the University of Florida and completed a two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Neuropsychology at Shands Teaching Hospital, University of Florida. He came to UCCS in 1979. He was Chair of Department from 1986-1989 and served as the Clinical Director from 1981-1984. Dr. Coolidge is a three-time Fulbright Fellowship Award recipient (India, 1987, 1992, 2005). He has received three teaching awards including the lifetime designation, University of Colorado Presidential Teaching Scholar, and he received the UCCS Letters, Arts, and Sciences Annual Outstanding Research and Creative Works Award, 2004-2005, and the UCCS Annual Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, 2006-2007.
Dr. Coolidge is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Paleoanthropology Society. He teaches introductory statistics, cognitive evolution, and graduate courses in cognition and personality.
*The Director of Undergraduate Education leads a committee that is responsible for determining course offerings, psychology major and minor requirements, and department policies related to undergraduate education. The Director of Undergraduate Education also handles student requests for course substitutions, waivers of degree requirements, and course transfer requests, and acts as a liaison to advisors in Student Success.
- Ph.D. Psychology, University of Florida, 1974
- M.A. Psychology, University of Florida
- B.A. Psychology, University of Florida
Areas of Interest
- Lifespan research in behavioral genetics, personality disorders, and paleopsychology
- PSY 1100 - The Profession of Psychology
- PSY 2100 - Introduction to Psychological Statistics
- PSY 2120 - Two-Factor Analysis of Variance
- PSY 3280 - Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 3840 - SPSS and Other Statistical Packages
- PSY 4280 - Seminar in Abnormal Psychology
- Coolidge, F. L. (2012). Statistics: A Gentle Introduction (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (2011). How to Think Like a Neandertal. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK.
- Coolidge, F. L., & Wynn, T. (2009) The Rise of Homo sapiens: The Evolution of Modern Thinking. London: Wiley-Blackwell.
- deBeaune, S., Coolidge, F. L., & Wynn, T. (Eds.). (2009). Cognitive Archaeology and Human Evolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L. (2006). Dream Interpretation as a Psychotherapeutic Technique. London:Radcliffe.
- Segal, D. L., Coolidge, F. L., & Rosowsky, E. (2006). Personality Disorders and Older Adults: Diagnosis, Assessment, and Treatment. New York: Wiley.
Selected Journal Articles
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (2011). The implications of the working memory model for the evolution of modern cognition. International Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
- Wynn, T., Coolidge, F. L., & Overmann, K. A., (in press). The archaeology of number concept its implications for the evolution of language. In R. Botha & M. Everaert (Eds.), The evolutionary emergence of human language. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (in press). The cognitive prerequisites for a language of diplomacy. In K. R. Gibson & M. Tallerman (Eds.), Handbook of language evolution. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (in press). The evolution of working memory. In H. Pashler (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of the mind. Los Angeles, CA: Sage Inc.
- Wynn, T. & Coolidge, F. L. (in press). Executive functions, working memory, and the evolution of the modern mind. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L., Overmann, K. A., & Wynn, T. (2010). Recursion: What is it? Who has it? How did it evolve? WIRE Cognitive Science,1, 1-8.
- Wynn, T., & Coolidge, F. L. (Eds.). (2010). Working memory: Beyond symbolism and language. The Wenner-Gren Symposium Series. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Coolidge, C. M., Spinath, F. & Gottschling, J. (2010). Do nightmares and generalized anxiety disorder in childhood and adolescence have a common genetic origin? Behavior Genetics, 34, 73-82.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Cahill, B. S. & Simenson, J. T. (2010). Psychometric properties of a brief inventory for the screening of personality disorders: The SCATI. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 83, 395-405.
- Francia, C. A., Coolidge, F. L., White, L. A., Segal, D. L., Cahill, B. S., & Estey, A. J. (2010). Personality disorder profiles in incarcerated male rapists and child molesters. American Journal of Forensic Psychology, 28, 1-14.
- Segal, D. L., June, A., Payne, M., Coolidge, F. L., & Yochim, B. (2010). Development and initial validation of a self-report assessment tool for anxiety among older adults: The Geriatric Anxiety Scale. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 24, 709-714.
- Marty, M. A., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2010). Relationships among dispositional coping strategies, suicidal ideation, and protective factors against suicide in older adults. Aging and Mental Health, 8, 1015-1023.
- Coolidge, F. L., & Segal, D. L. (2009). Is Kim Jong-il like Saddam Hussein and Adolf Hitler? A personality disorder evaluation. Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political, 1, 195-202.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., & Applequist, K. (2009). Working memory deficits in personality disorder traits: A preliminary investigation in a nonclinical sample. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 355-361.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Klebe, K. J., Cahill, B. S., & Whitcomb, J. M. (2009). Psychometric properties of the Coolidge Correctional Inventory in a sample of 3,962 prison inmates. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 27, 713-726.
- June, A., Segal, D. L., Coolidge, F. L., & Klebe, K. (2009). Religiousness, social support and reasons for living in African American and European American older adults: An exploratory study. Aging and Mental Health, 13,753-760.
- Pepin, R., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). Intrinsic and extrinsic barriers to mental health services among older adults. Aging and Mental Health, 13, 769-777.
- Segal, D. L., Needham, T. N., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). Age differences in attachment orientations among younger and older adults: Evidence from two self-report measures of attachment. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 69, 119-132.
- Segal, D. L., Tucker, H., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). A comparison of positive versus negative emotional expression in a written disclosure study among distressed students. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma, 18, 367-381.
- Wynn, T., Coolidge, F. L., & Bright, M. (2009). Hohlenstein-Stadel and the evolution of human conceptual thought. Cambridge Archaeological Journal, 19, 73-83.
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Fellowship Award recipient (India, 1987, 1992, 2005)
- University of Colorado Presidential Teaching Scholar, 1990
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the UCCS Campus, 1984
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 1987
- Outstanding Research Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2005
- Outstanding Research Award for the UCCS Campus, 2007
Representative & Recent Service/Leadership Roles
- UCCS Psychology Department Director of Clinical Training, 1981-1984
- UCCS Psychology Department Chairperson, 1986-1989
- UCCS Psychology Department Co-Director of Undergraduate Education, 2019-Present