Robert L. Durham, Ph.D.
Professor Robert Durham has been a professor of psychology at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs for over 40 years. After obtaining his doctorate in experimental psychology at Vanderbilt University, he moved directly to Colorado Springs. At UCCS, he has taught a variety of topics, many centering on methodological issues (e.g., program evaluation, research design, multivariate statistics, and psychometric theory). He has been a principal investigator (or co-PI) on numerous grants and contracts. He has authored/co-authored over 60 publications and presentations. He has recently become involved in research concerning the assessment of attitudes towards child sexual abuse and the etiology of sexual offending. He brings a strong psychometric and methodological background to this content area.
- Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Vanderbilt University, 1973
- M.A. Vanderbilt University
- B.A. University of Colorado Boulder
Areas of Interest
Psychometrics, statistics, program evaluation, and differential attitudes toward and etiology of sexual abusers
- PSY 3100 - Statistical Models in Psychology
- PSY 3150 - Psychology of Motivation
- PSY 3850 - Principles of Psychological Testing
- PSY 4110 - Seminar in Methodology
- PSY 4510 - Seminar in History of Psychology
- PSY 5830 - Applied Multivariate Techniques I
- PSY 6510 - History of Psychology
- Kretzer, K., Evelo, A. J, & Durham, R. L. (2013). A pilot study incorporating a complementary intervention to reduce hypertension and stress in women. Journal of Holistic Nursing Practice, 27(6), 336-343. doi: 10.1097/HNP.0b013e3182a72ca4
- Coolidge, F. L., Tambone, G. M., Durham, R. L., & Segal, D. L. (2011). Retrospective assessments of childhood psychopathologies by adults and their parents. Psychology, 2 (3), 162-168.
- Leon, B, Ricks, E., Durham, R. L., & Lightstone, P. (2010, December). Pierce County Alliance Meth Family Services: Evaluation of expanded services under U. S. Health & Human Services grant (2007 - 2010). Final report (127 pages).
- Cascaval, R.C., Fogler, K.A., Abrams, G.D., & Durham, R.L. (2008). Evaluating the benefits of providing online lectures to in-class students enrolled in math courses. Journal Of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 12 (3-4), 61-70.
- Rains, J.R., Kelly, C.A., & Durham, R.L. (2008). The evolution of the importance of multi-sensory teaching techniques in elementary mathematics: Theory and practice. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education, 4 (2), 239-252.
- Simons, D.A., Wurtele, S. K., & Durham, R.L. (2008). Developmental experiences of child molesters and rapists. Child Abuse & Neglect, 32 (5), 549-560.
Posters and Presentations
- Bhalla, A., Hanneman S., Durham, R. L., Al-Tabaa N., & McDonald, J. (August, 2014). Psychometric examination of a readiness scale for participants using an online intervention. Poster accepted for presentation at the 122nd meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Bhalla, A., McDonald, J., Hanneman, S., Al Tabaa, N., & Durham, R.L. (May, 2014). Differential Psychological and Neuropsychological Functioning By Types of Trauma Exposure. Poster accepted for presentation at the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago.
- Hanneman, S., Bhalla, A., Al Ta-Baa, N., & Durham, R.L. (May, 2014). Differential societal attitudes between juvenile and adult sex offenders. Poster accepted for presentation at the American Psychology and Law Society, New Orleans, LA.
- Bhalla, A., McDonald, J., Hanneman, S., Al Tabaa, N., & Durham, R.L. (April, 2014). Childhood maltreatment and adult antisocial behavior in a military sample. Poster accepted for presentation at the Western Psychological Association, Portland, OR.
- Hanneman, S., Bhalla, A., Al-Tabaa, N., McDonald, J., & Durham, R.L. (April, 2014). Differential Attitudes towards Sexual Offenders: Does the victim's age matter? Poster accepted for presentation at the Rocky Mountain Psychological Association Conference, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Bhalla, A., Durham, R. L., Hanneman, S., & Welsh, E. (August, 2013). Psychometric properties of a hypersexuality scale. Poster presented at 121st annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Honolulu, HI.
- Livengood, M.L., Durham, R., & Klebe, K. (August, 2012). Redeemability Attitudes towards Offenders with Mental Illness: A scale development study. Poster presented at the 2012 annual meeting of the American Psychological Association (Division 5), Orlando, FL.
- Welch, E.A. & Durham, R.L. (April, 2012). Blinded by the mirror: Self-objectification and perception of high risk rape situations. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Tambone, G., Durham, R.L., & White, E. (November, 2011). Psychometric properties of the CEBQ among a non-incarcerated population. Poster presented at the 30th annual meeting of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Toronto, Canada.
Honors & Awards
- UCCS Million Dollar Club (Research Funding)
- Faculty Assembly Service Award for the UCCS Campus, 2009