Every UCCS orientation has a supplemental parent and family program designed to also help you, a parent, family member, or supporter.
Each orientation will begin with students and family members together for the first half of orientation. We will then separate students and guests for the second half of orientation to provide specific information for the different groups. While students are engaging in team building activities and registering for classes, parents and family members are engaged in a supplemental program intentionally designed to assist you with your own unique questions and concerns related to having your student go to college.
Students, parents, and family members are together for the first half of their orientation (until 1:00 p.m.). They will reconvene at 4:30 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. -- Check-in for students interested in opening an Ent Lion OneCard (Optional)
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. -- Check-in, Student IDs, and Resource Fair
- Visit with representatives from student clubs and organizations, academic support services, and campus resources. Financial Aid (Cragmor 201) and Disability Services (Main Hall 105) will also be open until 5:00 p.m. on weekday orientations.
11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. -- Lunch and University Welcome
12 noon - 12:20 p.m. -- Student Life and Leadership Presentation
- This entertaining session showcases the numerous ways that students can get involved on campus through participation in a variety of clubs, exciting student events, and multiple student leadership offerings.
12:30 p.m. - 12:50 p.m. -- Student Success Session (Choose one)
- UCCS Success Advice - Join one of our award-winning professors as they share some academic success advice from a professor's perspective.
- UCCSlead - Join us to learn more about how to get involved in a student leadership development program open to all undergraduate students. This program is designed to develop leadership skills and engaged leadership experiences.
12:50 p.m. - 1:10 p.m. -- Orientation Welcome Leader Introductions (Students and Guest Dismissal into Separate Programs)
1:15 p.m. - 1:55 p.m. -- Contributing to College
- This session will discuss the financial aid processes, how to navigate a student's bill payments, and setting up an authorized payer.
2:05 p.m. - 2:35 p.m. -- UCCS Faculty or Veteran/Military Benefits Breakout (Choose one)
- Faculty Panel - Faculty members share their expectations and strategies for student success.
- Veteran and Military Benefits - Learn more about how to use military benefits to help pay for UCCS tuition and connect with other military affiliated resources on campus.
2:50 p.m. - 3:35 p.m. -- The Wonderful World of Wellness
- Learn about strategies and resources available on campus to help your student be happy, healthy, and safe on campus.
3:45 - 4:15 p.m. -- Planning for the Future Breakouts
- Career Center Services - The Career Center helps students explore career options, prepare for their future, and achieve their career goals. Join this session to learn more about the services and resources provided to support your student's career.
- Academic Advising - Curious about how your student creates their schedule and what requirements are needed for graduation? Join this session as we walk you through the class registration process that your student is currently embarking upon.
4:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. -- Additional Opportunities
- Residence Life Information and Housing Tours - Join Residence Life for information about living on campus, and this is an opportunity to tour the residence hall room types and locations.
- Campus Tour - Join us as we explore the highlights of campus including the Excel Centers, Library, University Center, and much more.
In order to ensure that you are prepared for the Parent and Family portion of orientation, please complete the following items prior to arriving on campus:
- Come prepared with a list of questions. Our staff will be available throughout the day, and we want to ensure that you leave feeling comfortable and excited about your student's transition to UCCS.
- Be prepared to spend the afternoon of orientation away from your student. Helping your student to be independent is difficult. We understand this. We also know that you cannot be with your student in classes. To help your student begin to learn the UCCS campus and connect other new students, we separate our student and parent orientations so that each of you can learn what you need to be prepared for.
- Remind your student to do everything on the student checklist. First-year, transfer, and military and veteran students have different items they need to take care of prior to orientation. If your student needs help, have your student contact the Orientation Office at email@example.com.
- Enjoy the experience! Orientation is busy and full of information, but it's a fun day for you to learn more about your student's academic pursuit. We will do our very best to make sure that when you leave UCCS, you will feel confident that your student made the right choice to attend here.
Parents and family members do not need to register to attend their student's orientation. On the reservation form, please have your student list how many guests will be attending the orientation.
Due to space limitations, we kindly ask that no more than two guests per student attend.
Parent participation is optional. While parents and guests are welcome to attend orientation, parents and guests will be separated from their student during the second half of the program for specific presentations designed for their respective group.
Students attending orientations have different needs and questions than parents. We have designed our orientations to reflect this, and we believe that this will be the best experience for both students and parents.