The University of Colorado Colorado Springs provides veteran and military students the option of having their military transcripts reviewed for undergraduate academic credit and/or course waiver. The UCCS Military Transfer Credit Policy creates a comprehensive transfer credit package for veteran and military students who have served in the United States Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy or Coast Guard.
Transcript Review Information
This Military Transfer Credit policy is designed to reflect the academic content obtained through military instruction, including, but not limited to, basic training, noncommissioned and staff noncommissioned officers courses, leadership training classes, international deployments, military language institutes, and the military equal opportunity programs (EOP).
Core academic credit are awarded based upon the American Council on Education recommendations, while other elective credits are awarded based upon military training. Some points to consider:
- How the transfer credit will apply to graduation requirements, will vary depending on school/college and major.
- This process is only for new students (before or during their first term).
- Most approved military transfer credits will be general elective credits, which may reduce the amount of credits needed to graduate but are not direct equivalents of courses offered.
For students seeking to enter professional colleges (i.e. Nursing, Engineering, Business), military transfer credits can fulfill many elective requirements.
- However, if elective requirements are complete, this may limit the options for course selections during your program.
- This can be an issue for students who need to keep a full time course load for GI Bill usage.
Each student is encouraged to talk with your academic advisor to learn more about this option.
Transcript Evaluation Process
All incoming or first term students will need to:
Communicating with your advisor is imperative to completing your degree plan in the most efficient way possible.
Depending on your degree plan and whether you already have college credit, you may not need a military transfer credit evaluation.
It will take time for UCCS to receive your military transcript. Wait at least 2 weeks before proceeding to the next step.
Our office will review your military transcript evaluation request and submit credit recommendations to the office for Degree Audit and Transfer Credit.
This is the office where your Degree Audit (DARS) will be updated. Please allow for 30 days to complete this process.
Periodically check your Degree Audit (DARS) in your UCCS portal.
Once your military transfer credits have posted, schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.
Your advisor will then determine which classes you should take in your second semester, and beyond, based on this evaluation.