Name and Pronoun Change Guides

How Do I Get Professors To Use My Preferred Name and Gender Pronoun?

You have the option to indicate your pronoun selection with which you identify. Your pronoun selection will be visible to authorized faculty and staff on advisee, class, and grade rosters. To access this feature, follow the directions under How to Update Preferred Name, Middle Name, and Pronoun:

Please note, pronouns are not included in directory information, so if a third-party contacts UCCS and requests your pronouns, UCCS will not release that information unless you have provided explicit consent to do so. 

Campus Preferred Name Change Guide

Campus Pronoun Change Guide


Will My Preferred Name Appear on All University Systems?

There are certain instances where only your legal name: Also referred to as “primary” name will appear in University systems. Within the University your legal name is used for:

  • Official academic transcripts
  • Enrollment and degree verifications
  • Billing and financial aid records and communications, including the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF)
  • Insurance records
  • Housing contracts (You may contact Residence Life and Housing to discuss having your preferred name appear in their systems.)
  • Military and veterans services
  • Passport names for international students
  • Most student screens in Campus Solutions (CU-SIS)
  • Lion OneCard (Please note that we are actively meeting with the appropriate departments on this issue.  Our goal is that students will be able to have their preferred name on their Lion One Card.  Last names will still require a legal name change.)

The University will utilize your preferred name for:

  • Class and grade rosters (used by faculty)
  • Advisee rosters (used by advisors; this also displays primary name)
  • Degree audits
  • Learning management systems (Canvas)
  • Diploma: When you apply for graduation, you can set a unique name that will appear on your diploma and in the commencement program. If you do not provide a diploma name, the Office of the Registrar will use your primary name instead.

I Am Still Worried That My Professor Will Misgender or Dead Name Me. What Should I Do?

There are several ways to go about addressing preferred name and pronouns with your instructors and professors. Here are some ideas, and by no means are these the only ways.

When To Inform An Instructor:
Many trans-identified and transitioning students prefer to inform their instructors of name and pronoun preferences before the beginning of the semester so as not to be outed during roll call or classroom discussions. Other students are comfortable stating their preference during the first roll call of the semester when many instructors ask for nicknames. Some folks are comfortable changing their name and pronoun mid-semester, and others prefer to wait until the beginning of the semester.

How To Inform An Instructor:
Your email account is the official means of communication at UCCS. Faculty are required to check this email just like students, and many will be checking for emails from students before the semester begins and usually daily or more during the semester. For students who find discussing trans identity or transition in person to be difficult or awkward, email is a great tool. Here is an example of an email:

Dear Professor Duarte-

I am writing to let you know that I am in the process of transitioning.  My legal name is currently _________ and may appear on your class rosters and computer systems as such.  I will now be going by _________________ and prefer ____________________ pronouns.  I will be using my preferred name on all of my homework, tests or other class activities so please make a note about the change.  If you have any questions on how to manage name changes or anything else please contact the LGBT+ Resource Center on campus at or 719-255-3447.

Thank you so much for your understanding and help.

  • Other students are more comfortable discussing name and pronoun preferences in person. After class or at office hours are a great time to talk to your teacher, and they will have information on office hours on their syllabus.
  • What to do if an instructor does not respect your preference:
    Unfortunately there is no guaranteed way to ensure that another person will respect your requests to be addressed by your preferred name and gender pronoun. When this happens, you have the option to report the issue. As always, the LGBT+ Resource Center is here for you to help out and support you,
    so contact us as well with any concerns or questions.

Who Do I Need To Inform Once I Have Changed My Legal Name and/or Gender Marker?

The most important office to contact is the Registrar. Information on the forms to fill out and who to speak to can be found at the Registrar's website.

As A Former Student, How Do I Change My Name On My Diploma?

Like any other name change request, you simply need to contact the Registrar's Office with the proof of name change documentation.

How Do I Change My Name Legally?

Please see this guide for instructions on navigating the name change process in Colorado.

Legal Name Change Guide (Colorado)

How Do I Legally Change My Gender?

Legally changing your gender is a much more complicated process than legally changing your name. Instead of one change which is then reported to different offices, this change has to take place through the different agencies at which you would like this change to occur. Policies also vary according to state, or even to which state you were born in. For more information relating to your situation, please the LGBT+ Resource Center and we can help you look for the specific information you need.

Why Might Someone Choose Not To Legally Change Their Name or Gender Marker?

Some people might not have the ability, desire or resources to make legal name and marker changes. It is important that we make our fellow students/faculty/staff feel comfortable in our academic environment. A person’s pronouns are directly attached to their identity and is important to utilize someone’s PGP in order to make a diverse inclusive environment for all.


Additional Information on Transitioning While at UCCS

Transitioning at UCCS