Online Incentives Program
Below is a summary list of the online incentives currently available to LAS faculty members. For additional information, please refer to the complete document. Requests for funding will generally go the faculty member's department first, but for departments without online fee money, requests will then be made to the college. Instructions for making requests are at the bottom of this page.
Online Incentives Program
- Incentives for development/enhancement of online courses
- Developing online courses
- A $3000 stipend for developing and teaching a new online course. The stipend is distributed after the course has been taught and a Quality Matters Self-Review has been completed. For team-taught courses, each member of the team will receive $3000.
- Enhancing online courses
- A $1000 stipend for substantially enhancing and teaching an existing online course. The stipend is distributed after the course has been taught and a Quality Matters Self-Review has been completed. This is a one-time payout for a given online course. Additional enhancement money beyond the first payout requires approval by the LAS Online Fee Committee.
- Quality Matters review
- $500 for successfully completing a Quality Matters review.
- Quality Matter peer reviewers
- $2000 for completing the QM Peer Reviewer Certification (two 2-week online courses).
- $500 for each QM review serving as a review team member.
- Online training (all training stipends are one-time and funds will be disbursed at the start of the semester in which the online course is scheduled)
- $1000 for completing the Teaching Online Certificate Program: Online Course Design Badge.
- $1000 for completing the Teaching Online Certificate Program: Online Facilitation Badge.
- Developing online courses
- Departments may cover the cost of specific kinds of technology purchases, not to exceed $3000, to ensure student and faculty access to online courses, from computers and hardware (e.g., headphones, etc.) to course-specific software.
- The purchase must be tied to the teaching of an online course by the instructor requesting the funds. The request can be made a full year before the course is taught and within a full year after the course is taught. The request can be made more than once as warranted. The chair of the department has discretion to decide whether the request is warranted.
- Please note that exceptions to the $3000 maximum or requests for equipment beyond basic hardware and software shall be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with department chairs, the LAS Online Fee Committee, and the dean of LAS.
- In order for online funds to be used for technology, items must be purchased through UCCS. Requesters should consult with a staff member in the Faculty Resource Center to configure their system before submitting the request for approval.
- All technology purchased with online funds is the property of the University and must be returned to the department upon termination.
- Teaching Assistants for online courses
- Departments may provide a grader or teaching assistant for online courses that allow eight or more waitlisted students into the course over the enrollment cap at the discretion of the department chair. Pay shall be at standard and typical college rates up to a $2000 maximum and can be paid in one lump sum or hourly, at the chair's discretion.
- A maximum of $1500 per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) for travel to an academic conference in which the applicant must attend one or more sessions of significant length that specifically address online pedagogy in an extensive way. Written justification must be included in the request as to how this session(s) would help the applicant improve the quality of an online course(s). Required in the justification is the length of the session, the session description as given in the conference program, and the type of session it will be (panel, lecture, roundtable, etc.). To be eligible for reimbursement, the dean must approve the travel stipend before the conference.
- Please note that the faculty member must either currently be teaching an online course or be scheduled to teach an online course in the next calendar year immediately following the conference.
- On-campus workshops
- A $500 stipend for faculty members who facilitate an on-campus, college-wide, or department-specific workshop to enhance online teaching.
- If you are receiving funding for the workshop from another source you are not eligible for funding from the online fees incentives.
- Requests for online fee funds to be used for other items, not addressed above, can be submitted to the department, the LAS Online Fee Committee, and/or the dean for approval.
For questions regarding these LAS Online Incentives, please email David Anderson.
- Go to the LAS Incentive Request Forms page, click on Select Form, and log in with your UCCS credentials. You may then select which stipend you are requesting. Fill out the form completely and click Submit.
- Once submitted, your request will go through the appropriate approval process (which may include your chair, the Fee Committee chair, the dean, et al.) You will receive an email when the approval process is complete.
For questions regarding the submission of requests, please email Lily Cosgrave.