Applying for regular post-completion OPT:
At UCCS, applying for post-completion OPT consists of these steps:
- Attend OPT workshop (required) - The GEO office offers 3-5 OPT workshops each fall and spring semester
- Submit the OPT I-20 Request form to your GEO international student advisor
- You must gather ALL the items on the checklist below, after reading and reviewing all OPT information
- You must make an appointment with your international student adviser only when you have all items as listed in the checklist below
- At your appointment, your international student advisor will review all items and issue OPT I-20
- You will prepare your application for mailing with all checklist items
- You will send the full application yourself, using a courier service such as FedEx
- USCIS will issue a receipt for your fee payment, to your address, in about 10-14 days
- If the application is approved, USCIS will issue an approval notice and an EAD card (in about 60-90 days)
Request Checklist – you must prepare all the following items, including required photocopies, before making your OPT appointment with your international student advisor. Bring all items to your appointment:
- Memo from your academic adviser or department chair (sample letter is attached) verifying your expected graduation at the end of the current term.
- Completed Form I-765 “Application for Employment Authorization,” available at www.USCIS.gov. Complete the form by typing in your information, then save the form to a USB drive and/or email the completed form to your advisor. DO NOT COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM AND SUBMIT IT! You must use your own address on the form, per instructions from USCIS here: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/2017/06/uscis-explains-the-form-i-765.
- Photocopies (paper copies) of passport page/s showing number, name, birth-date, picture, and expiration date; your current or most recent F-1 visa; your electronic I-94 record (printout from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94) and your UCCS ID and/or CO driver’s license
- Check or money order for the I-765 filing fee or $410 made out to ‘U.S. Department of Homeland Security’
- 2 passport type color photos taken within 30 days of the filing of this application
Sending the application:
All OPT I-20s for UCCS students with a Colorado address should be sent by courier to this address:
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034
If you do not have a Colorado address, find the correct mailing address here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses.
IMPORTANT: Your application should be sent by courier (such as FedEx), not by usual USPS mail.
GEO resources and forms: