Applying for regular post-completion OPT:
At UCCS, applying for post-completion OPT consists of these steps:
- Attend OPT workshop (required) - International Affairs offers 3-5 OPT workshops each fall and spring semester
- Submit the OPT I-20 Request form to your International Affairs international student adviser
- You must gather ALL the items on the checklist below, after reading and reviewing all OPT information
- You must make an appointment with your international student adviser only when you have all items as listed in the checklist below
- At your appointment, your international student advisor will review all items and issue OPT I-20
- You will prepare your application for mailing with all checklist items
- You will send the full application yourself, using a courier service such as FedEx
- USCIS will issue a receipt for your fee payment, to your address, in about 10-14 days
- If the application is approved, USCIS will issue an approval notice and an EAD card (in about 60-90 days)
Request Checklist – you must prepare all the following items, including required photocopies, before making your OPT appointment with your international student advisor. Bring all items to your appointment:
- Memo from your academic adviser or department chair (sample letter is attached) verifying your expected graduation at the end of the current term.
- Completed Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization,” available at www.USCIS.gov. Complete the form by typing in your information, then save the form to a USB drive and/or email the completed form to your advisor.
- Go to http://www.uscis.gov to find the form – 7 pages long
- Download instructions and follow carefully (basic instructions begin on page 16)
- TYPE in all items, save, and email to your advisor
- U.S. address – Make sure your mailing address is absolutely 100% solid!
- Code for #27 is: (c) (3) (B) for post-completion OPT, (c) (3) (C) for STEM OPT
- Make sure you have the latest version of I-765!
- Document all previous SEVIS IDs, OPT and CPT, in part 6
- Don’t forget to sign, in BLACK, and make sure your signature fits INTO the signature box
- Enter ‘N/A’ for all items that do not apply to you
- Include all pages with NONE and N/A entered in appropriate places
- Photocopies (paper copies) of passport page/s showing number, name, date of birth, picture, and expiration date; your current or most recent F-1 visa; your electronic I-94 record (printout from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94) and your UCCS ID and/or CO driver’s license
- Photocopies of all I-20s containing previous CPT or OPT
- Check or money order for the I-765 filing fee or $410 made out to ‘U.S. Department of Homeland Security’
- 2 passport type color photos taken within 30 days of the filing of this application
- OPTIONAL – G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and G-1450, Authorization for credit card transactions.
IMPORTANT: It is the student's responsibility to make sure that the application and all materials are complete, accurate, and done according to official USCIS instructions.
Sending the application:
All OPT I-20s for UCCS students with a Colorado address should be sent by courier to this address:
Attn: NFB AOS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S, Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034
If you do not have a Colorado address, find the correct mailing address here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-765-addresses.
IMPORTANT: Your application should be sent by courier (such as FedEx), not by usual USPS mail.
International Affairs resources and forms: