Living in the U.S. and Colorado

On campus, your UCCS ID will be useful. In daily life in the U.S. another type of identification card is useful and convenient. If you have a Colorado Driver's License (DL), that DL will be your daily ID. If not, you can apply for a Colorado State ID card.

The information in the Colorado State DL and ID handout explains how to obtain a Colorado DL or ID. Getting either will require legal proof of your identity and your Colorado residence, while a DL will also require proof of driving knowledge and skills.

Contact International Affairs with any questions about this process or if additional assistance is needed.

In the United States, a Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents. The number is issued to an individual by the Social Security Administration. Its primary purpose is to track individuals for taxation purposes. Social Security numbers are available only to those international students and scholars who have secured employment in the U.S. If you have previously applied for and been granted an SSN, this number is yours for life. You should not apply for a second number.

Students and scholars who are required to file a tax return, but who are not eligible for a social security number, may need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you will be employed while in the U.S., you must apply for an SSN in person at the local Social Security Office. See the Social Security Number Information handout for more information.

Although an SSN may be requested for other services such as banking, utilities, cell phones, etc., it is only required for employment. For purposes other than employment, ask the service provider about acceptable alternative identification numbers.

For your own security, keep your SSN safe and private. Be aware that the SSN is a key piece of information used in identity theft and other crimes. Never give your SSN out or make it public.


Health Care and Medical Insurance in the U.S.

Please see our information handout. The information on this page and in the handout is a summary provided as a courtesy of the International Affairs Office and subject to change without notice. Please contact us at with any questions.

International students in F-1 status attending University of Colorado Colorado Springs are highly encouraged to have a medical insurance policy that provides coverage for their study in the U.S. J-1 status students are required to have a health insurance policy that is compliant with U.S. Department of State requirements.

These insurance companies listed below are NOT endorsed by UCCS nor the International Affairs Office BUT are meant as a resource and starting point for our international students that wish to acquire health insurance with preventative care.

Insurance companies with approved international student and scholar plans:

International Student Insurance
ISO Insurance 
International Student Protection (ISP)
Compass Benefits Group 

Immunization Requirements 

Students will need to turn in a copy of their immunization records to the UCCS Wellness Center. The State of Colorado requires that students have proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) when attending classes at UCCS. In addition to the MMR, all incoming freshmen living in on-campus housing, must provide proof of receiving the Meningococcal Vaccine or must sign a waiver prior to moving in. It is recommended that all other incoming freshmen consider getting the Meningococcal Vaccine. For more information on these vaccinations or for forms, please click here.

Students may submit their immunizations records to the UCCS Wellness Center in person, via email:, via fax: 719-255-4446, or via mail:
                    UCCS Wellness Center
                    1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway
                    Colorado Springs, CO 80918

*Note: When submitting records to the UCCS Wellness Center, please make sure that student's full name and UCCS Student ID number are included on the record. Questions regarding immunizations or health services, should be directed to the UCCS Wellness Center at 719-255-4444. Please keep in mind that the UCCS Wellness Center is bound to HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), which ensures confidentiality.

All non-U.S. citizens who are present in the United States for more than 29 days are required to notify the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) of any change in their U.S. address within 10 days of the change. This includes lawful permanent residents of the U.S. If you are in F1 or J1 status, you must report address information to your school or J program sponsor which will be reported to DHS on your behalf. In addition to a current U.S. address, F-1 students are also required to maintain home country address information. Those who are not in F or J status must report address information to DHS directly.

Please ensure that your addresses are kept absolutely up-to-date and correct in your UCCS student portal and with your international student adviser.

To understand how to update your addresses, as well as your U.S. and home country phone number, see our information handout How to Update Your Addresses in your UCCS Portal.


Off-Campus Housing Tips for International Students and Scholars

What You Should Know:

  • Renter's Insurance  - purchasing a renter's insurance policy to protect your possessions in your rented apartment is a good idea, and may be a requirement of your apartment.
  • Utilities (gas, electricity, etc.) - You will need to research how the utilities are provided in your apartment, and set up the service directly with the provider or with your management.
  • Internet Service Providers - Internet service may or may not be provided in your apartment. If it is not, you will need to arrange it, much like a utility.
  • Apartment Policies - You will need to understand and abide by policies explained in your rental agreement about noise (many complexes have a late-night quiet policy, for example), waste, recycling, pets, damage, move-in and move-out policies, and others.

Will you look for off-campus housing?  By doing a thorough apartment search and being very selective about both the apartment and the landlord, you can prevent many potential housing problems. Unless it is in a large apartment complex that is professionally managed, we DO NOT recommend renting an apartment without seeing it first. Choosing a place to live is one of the most important decisions you will make when you come to Colorado Springs. Please be careful!  UCCS Nearby Apartments.

Be aware that the facilities on the off-campus housing list 'Apartment Guide' are not affiliated with UCCS.

Some popular sources for housing:

* Please be careful about committing to a place without meeting the landlord and/or seeing the housing with your own eyes. In addition, be aware that any rental agreement that you sign is a legally binding contract.

*Note: Off-campus options are not affiliated with University of Colorado Colorado Springs. Early arrival students who will be living in the dormitory will be charged a nightly rate until the on campus residence hall officially opens. Some students may choose to stay at a hotel for some days prior to finding housing. See hotel options near campus.

Hotels near UCCS 

Early arrival students who will be living in the dormitory will be charged a nightly rate until the on-campus residence hall officially opens. Some students may choose to stay at a hotel near the University while they look for permanent housing. Colorado Springs has many hotels and motels with a wide variety of pricing and amenities.

Here is a list of hotels near UCCS that may have UCCS special rates.