Leaving UCCS

Leaving UCCS - El Pomar Center


This page contains helpful information for employees who are leaving the University.


If you're leaving on your own accord, you'll receive final salary, overtime, leave payouts and any additional payments on your final regular pay date. For example, if you're paid monthly and leaving May 23, you'll receive your final pay on May 30. If this is not possible, your department will process final pay items no later than one month following your termination.

Leave Payouts

Your leave accruals and payouts depend on whether you're a classified or university staff member.

Classified Staff

  • Vacation payout - You will receive a vacation payout for total accrued hours up to the maximum balance, usually two years-worth of accruals. For example, if your accrual rate is 10 hours per month, your maximum eligible balance for payout is 240 hours. Federal and state taxes are withheld at the supplemental tax rate. Medicare tax, if applicable, and PERA retirement will be deducted.
  • Sick payout - If you meet PERA age-and-service requirements for a full or reduced retirement, you are eligible for a partial payout of unused sick leave. The maximum allowed payout for sick is 25 percent of the unused current balance up to the maximum eligible sick balance. For state classified employees hired July 1, 1988 or later, the maximum eligible sick leave balance is 360 hours (45 days). For employees who had a frozen sick balance on June 30, 1988, the maximum accrual may be higher than 360 hours (360 hours plus the frozen sick balance). Twenty-five percent of the employee's remaining balance (up to his/her maximum allowed) will be paid out at termination.

University Staff

  • Vacation payout -  You will receive a vacation payout for total accrued hours up to the maximum balance, 352 hours (14.67 hours per month multiplied by 24 months). If you transferred to an academic-year appointment, you are eligible for a vacation leave hours accrued as a university staff member, subject to the maximum limits above. For these payouts, federal and state taxes are withheld at the supplemental tax rate. This payment is also subject to retirement, OASDI (Social Security) and Medicare tax, as applicable. Talk to your supervisor if you'd like to donate excess hours to a leave bank.
  • Sick leave - If you meet age-and-service requirements for your retirement plan (either CU 401(a) or PERA), you are eligible for a payout of unused sick leave. The maximum allowed payout for sick time is one-fourth of the unused current balance, up to a maximum of 240 hours (one-quarter of the 960 hours/120 days maximum hours allowed). See Regent Policy 11-E for more information.

Frozen Sick Leave Balances for Retirees

  • If you have more than 960 unused sick hours upon retirement, you are entitled to receive 25 percent of your sick leave balance as of May 1, 2001. This frozen sick leave balance is informational only and helps us determine your payout at retirement.
  • Here are some examples:
    • Dr. Smith had 1,500 hours of sick accrued as of May 1, 2001. In August 2006, he retired with a sick balance of 1,600 hours. His sick leave payout at retirement would be 25 percent of 1,500 (375 hours).
    • Dr. Jones had 900 hours of sick accrued as of May 1, 2001. By the time she retired in August 2006, her balance was 1,000 hours. Her sick lease at retirement payout was 25 percent of 960 hours (240 hours), since that is the maximum that may be paid when the employee had fewer than 960 hours of accrual as of May 1, 2001.
    • Dr. Davis had 1,000 hours of sick accrued as of May 1, 2001. Over the next few years, he used a large number of sick leave hours, and his balance was 700 hours at retirement. His sick leave payout at retirement was 25 percent of 700 hours (175 hours).


Once your separation is final, you lose coverage in CU medical plans, dental plans, vision plans and health care flexible spending accounts.

In most cases, you may enroll in COBRA to continue coverage for 18 months. Learn more about COBRA rights and plan information, including dependent coverage and disability extensions.

For questions about benefits or coverage, please contact Employee Services at (855) 216-7740.

CU 401(a)

Upon leaving CU, you may:

  • keep your funds in the CU 401(a) Plan, or
  • have the funds rolled out of the CU 401(a) Plan to another eligible plan, IRA or Roth IRA.

Public Employee's Retirement Association (PERA) plans

Upon leaving CU, you may:

  • leave your account(s) with PERA for a future rollover/refund or monthly benefit, OR
  • do a rollover/refund of your account(s). 

Learn more about PERA's rollover options.

Voluntary retirement accounts

Check out information on CU's 403(b), PERA 401(k) and PERA 457 voluntary savings plans.

Ready to retire?

Please visit our Preparing to Retire page for more details.


For questions about retirement plan rollover options or retirement, please contact Employee Services at (855) 216-7740.

Once your separation is final, you lose access to university offices, computing systems and resources and programs, subject to Article 14 of the Regent Laws.

Please return all university items (e.g., keys, office supplies, laptops) to your department before leaving the university.

As you are preparing to leave UCCS, you must send a letter of resignation to your acting supervisor to announce your official leave from the university.

Employees who separate from the university are sent an exit survey in the month following their departure. If you do not receive an exit survey and would like to provide feedback, please request one by emailing hrhelp@uccs.edu.

A checklist is provided to assist the employee and department in completing all required tasks prior to an employee separation.

Click here to access the checklist.