GPS Peer Leader Program
The GPS Peer Leader Program is a Peer Mentoring Program that allows current UCCS students the opportunity to mentor incoming first-year students through the Gateway Program Seminar. Students must apply to be a peer leader.
Students do NOT enroll in the Gateway Program Seminar in which they are a peer leader. Through interactive workshops required for the CRLA designation, students will examine the complementary processes of teaching and learning from both the theoretical and pragmatic perspectives. Students will learn to engage, listen, and assist first-year students in a mature and professional manner relating to their adjustment to UCCS and academic success. Students will also work with faculty sponsors to contribute to the instruction of their designated Gateway Program Seminar class.
- Peer Mentor Training Days (August 7 / August 9, 2018)
- Start Up Days (SUDS) (August 16 / August 17, 2018)
- GPS Course Attendance
- 2x Meeting with Students
- 2x Meeting with Faculty
- CRLA Workshops (offered during semester) IF you do not enroll in GPS 4090:
- Saturday, September 15 / 12-4
- Saturday, October 20 / 12-4
- Saturday, November 10 / 12-4
- Saturday, December 1 / 12-4
- Leadership Training
- CRLA Level I International Mentor Training Program Certification (IMTPC)
- Professional Polo Shirt to distinguish our Peer Leaders from other programs
- Catered Workshops
- Registration for National Peer Mentor Conference in Denver (March 2019)
- $300 scholarship applied directly to spring tuition
GPS 4090 is an optional, complimentary course that is only available to accepted peer leaders. GPS 4090 also counts as a UCCSlead academic course requirement and has been approved as a Writing Intensive course for the Compass Curriculum.
If you wish to apply for the 2019 GPS Peer Leader Program, please click HERE for an application.
Questions? Contact Carrie for more information.
Carrie Arnold, Ph.D.
ACAD (Academic Office Building) 504
719.255.4099 / firstname.lastname@example.org