GES offers honors for students who have demonstrated high academic achievement. In order to be considered for departmental honors, a student must:
- have an overall CU GPA of 3.0 or better
- have a 3.5 or better GPA in GES courses
- have a research proposal approved by a GES faculty advisor and select a committee of two other faculty
- enroll in GES 4970 (Honors in Geography)
- complete an oral exam on a research project
The level of honors will be decided by committee after the completion of the requirements. Three levels of honors are available: Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction.