Areas of Interest
- Apportionment and Redistricting
- Global Systems of Education
- Governance, Public Services, and Public Policy
- Political Geography
- Nationality and Nationalism
- PhD, Geography, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2007
- MA, Geography, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2003
- BA, Political Science, Middlebury College, 1984
- Reader, Advanced Placement Human Geography Exam, 2016 - 2018
- Coordinator, Colorado Geographic Alliance, 2008 - 2018
- Anthamatten, P., Bryant, L.M.P., Ferrucci, B.J., Jennings, S. and Theobald, R. (2018) “Giant Maps as Pedagogical Tools for Teaching Geography and Mathematics”, Journal of Geography, Volume 117, No. 5, 183-192.
- Theobald, R., Anthamatten, P., Bryant, L.M.P., Ferrucci, B.J., Jennings, S. and McAnneny, C. (2017) “Scaling Giant State Maps: Learning at the Intersection of Mathematics and Geography”, Research in Geographic Education, Volume 19, No. 2, 11-35.
- Theobald, R. and Vrbancic, E. (2016) "Nodes of Knowledge: Librarians as Navigators for Geospatial Technology Users", Journal of Map and Geography Libraries, Vol. 12, Issue 3, 318-344.
- Theobald, R.B. "International Faculty: A Source of Diversity," and Alberts, H.C., Hazen, H.D., and Theobald, R.B., "Teaching with an Accent," in Coming From Abroad, Palgrave Macmillan, Heike C. Alberts and Helen D. Hazen, Editors, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Donert, K., Hay, I., Theobald, R., Wakefield, K., and Valiunaite, V. (2011) "International Collaboration in Organisations Promoting Geography Education: Exploring success and acknowledging limitations" Journal of Geography in Higher Education, Volume 35, No. 3, 1-11.
- Alberts, H.C., Hazen, H.D., and Theobald, R.B. (2010) "Classroom Incivilities: The Challenge of Interactions between College Students and Instructors in the US" Journal of Geography in Higher Education, Volume 34, No. 3, 439-462.
- Theobald, R.B. (2009) "New Faces in Academic Places: Gender and the Experiences of Early-Career Foreign-Born and Native-Born Geographers in the United States" Journal of Geographical Science, Volume 57, 7-32
- Theobald, R.B. (2008) "Internationalization: Institutions, People, and Programs in Colorado" Journal of Geography in Higher Education, Volume 32, No. 2, 205-216.
- Foote, K.E., Li, W., Monk, J. and Theobald, R. (2008) "Foreign-born Scholars in U.S. Universities: Issues, Concerns, and Strategies", Journal of Geography in Higher Education, Volume 32, No. 2, 167-178.
- Wescoat, J.L. Jr., Headington, L., and Theobald, R.B. (2007) "Water and Poverty in the USA" Geoforum, Volume 38, No. 5, 224-240.
- Theobald, R.B. (2005) "School Choice in Colorado Springs: The Relationship Between Parental Decisions, Location and Neighborhood Characteristics" International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, Volume 14, No. 2, 92-111.
Honors and Awards
- National Center for Research in Geography Education Transformative Research Award, 2016 and 2018
- Esri, Inc., Teachers Teaching Teachers GIS Grant, 2015 and 2018
- Metric Geometry and Gerrymandering Group, Tufts University, 2018
- National Geographic Society funding for Colorado Geographic Alliance, 2008 - 2018
- UCCS Faculty Assembly Women's Committee Award for Travel, 2011
- ESRI Special Achievement in GIS Award for the Colorado Geographic Alliance, 2010
- CU-Boulder Center for Humanities and the Arts Seminar Participant, 2005-2006
- National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant, 2005
- AAG Urban Geography Specialty Group Best Masters' Thesis Award, 2004
Volunteer and Service
- TEDxMashpeeED, April 26, 2019, "Making a difference, being the change in your community and the world"
- Editor, The Geography Teacher, National Council for Geographic Education, 2016 - Present
- Association of American Geographers, Membership Committee, 2018 - Present
- Member, Editorial Board, Review of International Geographical Education Online, Fall 2010 - Present
- Member, Curriculum and Instruction Committee, National Council for Geographic Education, 2012 - 2015
- Member, GIS Distance Learning Project, Governor's Office of Information Technology, State of Colorado, 2012 - 2015
- My Community, Our Earth: Global Connections and Exchange Program Initiative, 2011-2013
- International Network for Learning and Teaching Geography in Higher Education Workshop, Changing Geography in Higher Education: Towards a Scholarship of Academic Practice, 2010
- Colorado Department of Education, Colorado Model Content Standards Review Subcommittee in Geography, 2009