Areas of Interest
- Political Economy of Place
- U.S.- Mexico Connections and Integration
- The American Urban Landscape
- Ph.D, Geography, Arizona State University, 1996
- MA, Geography, Arizona State University, 1993
- BS, Geography, The Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- Geography of Food
- Geography of the American Southwest
- Urban Geography
- Geographic Research Seminar
- Field Studies in Mexico and Central America
- Geography of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean
- The Cultural Landscape
- Introduction to Human Geography
- Introduction to GIS
- Harner, John, Lee Cerveny, and Rebecca Gronewold. 2017. Participatory Mapping in Browns Canyon National Monument, Colorado (USA). Case Studies in the Environment: cseucpress.edu.
- Harner, John, Kevin Knapp, and Leah Davis-Witherow. 2017. "The Story of Us": Place-Making through Public Interaction with Digital Geo-Humanities in Colorado Springs. International Journal for Humanities and Arts Computing 11(1):110-126.
- Harner, John. 2014. UCCS in the regional context, pp. 209-225 in Discovering Place: A UCCS Field Guide, T. Huber and C. Huber (eds). Colorado Springs: University of Colorado
- Kuby, Michael, John Harner, and Patricia Gober. 2013. Human Geography in Action, 6th Edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Benz, Bradley, and John Harner. 2013. The Growth of Ranchettes in La Plata County, Colorado, 1988-2008. The Professional Geographer 65(2):329-344.
- Harner, John, and Frank Kinder. 2011. Placelessness in a Deregulated City: University Village in Colorado Springs. Urban Geography 32(5):730-755.
- Harner, John. 2010. The Changing Location of Trade and Services in Guadalajara, Mexico, 1994-2004. Geographical Review 100(4):494-520.
- Harner, John, Edith Jiménez, and Heriberto Cruz Solís. 2009. Buying Development: Housing and Urban Growth in Guadalajara, Mexico. Urban Geography 30(5):465-489.
Honors and Awards
- University of Colorado Thomas Jefferson Award, 2018
- Fulbright Scholar, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2005
- Innovations in Teaching with Technology Award, UCCS, 2002
Volunteer and Service
- Chair, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, 2009 - 2015
- Board of Directors, Catamount Center for Geography of the Southern Rockies