Areas of Interest
- Geographical Information Science (GIScience)
- Spatial Analysis and Modeling
- Spatial Big Data Analytics
- Urban Regional Analysis
- GPS-based Positioning and Navigation
- Ph.D (2013) Geography & Urban Regional Analysis, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- M.Sc (2005) Geomatic Engineering, University of Calgary, Canada
- B.E. (2002) Geomatic Engineering, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Introduction to GIS (GES 3030/5030)
- Geovisualization (GES 4070/5070)
- Advanced GIS (GES 4080/5080)
- Introduction to Geospatial Computing (GES 4130/5130)
- Spatial Database (GES 4040/5040)
- Dao, T.H.D. (2018). Rule Learning for Spatial Data Mining. The Geographic Information Science & Technology Body of Knowledge (1st Quarter 2018 Edition), John P. Wilson (ed.). DOI: 10.22224/gistbok/2018.1.3
- Dao, T.H.D., and J-C. Thill. (2017). “Indoor Three-dimensional Accessibility Auditing for Computer-aided Architectural Design”. Transaction in Geographic Information Systems 2017:1-23.
- Dao, T.H.D. and J-C. Thill. (2017). "Detecting Attribute-based Homogeneous Patches Using Spatial Clustering: A Comparison Test". W. Popovich, M. Schrenk, J-C Thill, C. Claramunt, and T. Wang (Eds.) Lecture notes in Geoinformation & Cartography: New Frontiers in Information Fusion and Intelligent GIS: From Maritime to Land-based Research. Springer-Verlag. 37-54.
- Dao, T.H.D., C. Ravesloot, L. Greiman, and T. Hargrove. (2016). "Linking Daily Travel Mobility and Pain Experience Using GPS Tracking Data and Ecological Momentary Assessment Technique." American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, San-Francisco, LA, March 31-April 3, 2016.
- Dao T.H.D. and J-C. Thill. (2016) "The SpatialARMED Framework: Handling Complex Spatial Components in Spatial Association Rule Mining". Geographical Analysis 48 (3): 248-274.
- Zhou, Y., T.H.D. Dao, J-C. Thill, and E. Delmelle. (2015). "Enhanced 3D Visualization Techniques in Support of Indoor Location Planning". Computer, Environment, and Urban System (CEUS) 50, 15-29.
- Dao, T.H.D. (2012). "Global Satellite Positioning System and Applications". In K.A. Dao (Eds) Experimental Methods in Modern Physics, Hanoi, Vietnam: Vietnam Education Publication House, 512-570.
- Dao, T.H.D., and J-C. Thill. (2012). "A Comprehensive Framework for Spatial Association Rule Mining". In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Geographic Information Science. Columbus, OH, USA. (GIScience 2012 International Conference Student Award)
- Dao T.H.D., Y. Zhou, J-C. Thill, and E. Delmelle. (2011). "Spatio-temporal Location Modeling in a 3D Indoor Environment: the Case of AEDs as Emergency Medical Devices". International Journal of Geographical Information Science 26 (3), 469-494.Thill J-C., T.H.
- D. Dao, and Y. Zhou. (2011). "Traveling in the Three-dimensional City: Applications in Route Planning, Accessibility Assessment, Location Analysis and Beyond". Journal of Transport Geography 19 (3), 405-421.
- Tran M.T., and T.H.D. Dao. (2006). "The Global Positioning Systems: Theory and Applications". Hanoi, Vietnam: Vietnamese Educational Publication. (200 page book in Vietnamese).
- Dao T.H.D., P. Alves, and G. Lachapelle. (2004). "Performance Evaluation of Multiple Reference Station of GPS RTK for a Medium Scaled Network". Journal of Global Positioning Systems 3 (1), 173-182.
- Lachapelle G., H. Kuusniemi, T.H.D. Dao, G. MacGougan, and M.E. Cannon. (2004). "HSGPS Signal Analysis and Performance Under Various Indoor Conditions". Navigation 51 (1), 29-43.
- Dao D., C. Rizos, and J. Wang. (2002). "Location-based Services: Technical and Business Issues". GPS Solutions 6, 169-178.
Honors and Awards
- 2012 GISciences 2012 Conference Student Award, Association of American Geographers (among 10 recipients internationally)
- 2009 G. Herbert Stout Award for Exemplary Student Paper in North Carolina GIS Conference
- 2008-09, 2012 Graduate Travel Award, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- 2008-2012 Ph.D. Graduate Full Assistantships, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- 2003 Best Presentation Award, the 16th International Technical Meeting of The Satellite Division, The Institute of Navigation, Portland, Oregon, USA
- 2003, 2004 Graduate Research Scholarship, University of Calgary, Canada
- 2003-2005 Alberta Informatics Circle of Research Excellence (iCORE) M.Sc. Graduate Full Assistantships, the Government of Alberta, Canada
- 1998-2002 The Australian Agency for International Development Scholarship, University of New South Wales, Australia (50 recipient nationally, awarded fully-sponsored 4 year undergraduate study program)
Volunteer and Service
- Coordinator, UCCS Undergraduate Certificate in Geographical Information Science (2018 – current)
- Chair, The Jacquelyn Beyer Women in Geography Grant Committee (2018 Fall – current)
- Coordinator, GIS internship with El Paso Teller 9-1-1 Authority (2016 – current)
- Co-coordinator, GES Colloquium (2018 – current)
- Member, GES Graduate Review Committee (2016 – current)
- Member, UCCS Graduate Research Fellowship committee (2018 - onward)
- Member, Steering Committee of the University of Montana Data Science Initiate (2013-2016)
o NSF EARLY-CAREER award in Geography and Spatial Science
o WILEY Publisher
o International Journal of Geographic Information Science (IJGIS)
o Journal of Computers, Environment and Urban Systems (CEUS)