Christine Biermann, Ph.D.
Geography and Environmental Studies Department
Areas of Interest
- Critical physical geography
- Human-environment interactions
- Tree rings and climate
- Socioecological forest dynamics
- Biodiversity conservation
- Political ecology
- PhD, Geography, Ohio State University, 2014
- MS, Geography, University of Tennessee, 2009
- BA, Geography, SUNY Geneseo, 2007
- Environmental Systems: Climate and Vegetation (GES 1000)
- Lave, R., C. Biermann, and S. Lane. 2018. Handbook of Critical Physical Geography. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Biermann, Christine, and H. Grissino-Mayer. 2018. Shifting climate sensitivities, shifting paradigms: tree-ring science in a dynamic world. In R. Lave, C. Biermann, and S. Lane (Eds.), Handbook of Critical Physical Geography (pp. 201-222). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Biermann, Christine, and R. Anderson. 2017. Conservation, biopolitics, and the governance of life and death. Geography Compass, 11(10): 1-13.
- Biermann, Christine. 2016. Securing forests from the scourge of blight: the biopolitics of nature and nation. Geoforum, 75: 210-219.
- Wang, H., D. Liu, D. Munroe, K. Cao, and C. Biermann. 2016. Selecting sensitive environmental variables for species distribution modeling. Annals of GIS, 22(1): 57-69.
- Mansfield, B., C. Biermann, K. McSweeney, J. Law, C. Gallemore, L. Horner, and D. Munroe. 2015. Environmental politics after nature: conflicting socioecological futures. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105(2): 284-293.
- Lave, R., M. Wilson, E. Barron, C. Biermann, M. Carey, C. Duvall, L. Johnson, K. Lave, N. McClintock, D. Munroe, R. Pain, J. Proctor, B. Rhoads, M. Robertson, J. Rossi, N. Sayre, G. Simon, M. Tadaki, and C. VanDyke. 2014. Intervention: Critical physical geography. The Canadian Geographer, 58(1): 1-10.
- Biermann, Christine, and B. Mansfield. 2014. Biodiversity, purity, and death: conservation biology as biopolitics. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 32: 257-273.
Honors and Awards
- 2017-2018 University of Washington Royalty Research Fund Scholar
- 2013 E. Willard and Ruby S. Miller Fellowship, Ohio State University
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
Volunteer and Service
- Group leader, North American Dendroecological Fieldweek (2016)
- Associate Editor, Conservation and Society