Skip to main content
Areas of Interest
- Social and ecological impacts of land use land cover change
- Human-environment dynamics at the interface of agriculture and conservation
- Remote sensing
- Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean
- PhD, Geography, University of Florida, 2011
- MS, Geography, University of Florida, 2006
- BS, Geography, University of Florida, 2004
- Environmental Remote Sensing (GES4060)
- Statistical Analysis in Geography (GES 4000)
- Image Analysis (GES4090)
- Urban Sustainability (formerly Urban Ecology) (GES 4700)
- Geography of Sub-Saharan Africa (GES 3070)
- Digital Earth (GES2050)
- Gibbes,C., Hopkins, A., Inurreta, A., and JImenez-Osornio, J. (2018). Defining and measuring sustainability: A systematic review of studies in rural Latin America and the Caribbean. Environment, Development and Sustainability. 10.1007/s10668-018-0209-9.
- Klenk, N., Fiume, A., Meehan, K., & Gibbes, C. (2017). Local knowledge in climate adaptation research: Moving knowledge frameworks from extraction to co‐production. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change, 8(5), e475.
- Gibbes, C., Southworth, J., Waylen, P., Child, B. (2014). Climate variability as a dominant driver of post-disturbance savanna dynamics. Applied Geography, 53, 389-401.
- Hopkins, A., Gibbes, C., Inurreta, A., Rojas, R. (2012). Linking Remote Sensing, Census and Interview Data to Understand Forest Transitions in the Southern Cone of the State of Yucatan, Mexico. Ethnobotany Research and Application, 10, 1-13.
- Gaughan, A., Stevens, F.R., Gibbes, C., Southworth, J., and Binford, M. (2012). Linking vegetation response to seasonal precipitation in the Okavango-Kwando-Zambezi catchment of southern Africa. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33, 6783-6804.
- Gibbes, C., Southworth J., Keys E. (2009). Wetland conservation: change and fragmentation in Trinidad's protected areas. Geoforum, 40, 91-104.
Honors and Awards
- National Geographic Explorer 2019-2022
- UCCS Faculty Award for Excellence in Research 2017
- LAS Outstanding Teaching Award 2017
- Fulbright Fellowship 2014-2016
- Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS) Fellow - 2012
- NASA Land Cover/Land Use Change Research Assistantship (2009-2011)
- Social Science Research Council - Dissertation Proposal Development Fellowship
Volunteer and Service
- Director, Global Intercultural Research Center
- Faculty Council Ethnic and Minority Affairs Committee, University of Colorado
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee
- UCCS Committee on Academic Progress
- Reviewer: Journal of Land Use Science, Environmental Management, Biological Conservation, Applied Geography