Areas of Interest
- Geomorphology - rock weathering, mountain systems, snow and ice
- Geomorphometry - scale and texture
- Meteorology - mountain weather, lightning / landscape interactions
- Geography curriculum development and assessment
- Terrestrial 3D laser scanning, GIS, geovisualization, spatial analysis
- PhD, Geography, Arizona State University, 2007
- MA, Geography, Arizona State University, 2000
- BS, Natural Resource Management, University of Missouri, 1992
- Environmental Systems: Landforms and Soils (GES 1010)
- Digital Earth (GES 2050)
- Practical Meteorology (GES 3200, ENSC 3200)
- Sonic Landscapes (GES 3410, VAPA 3900, HUM 3990, MUS 4960), co-taught with Glen Whitehead (UCCS) and Matthew Burtner (UVA)
- Introduction to GIS (GES 4050 / 5050)
- Principles of Geomorphology (GES 4310 / 5310, GEOL 4630 / 5630)
- Field Studies: Silverton, Colorado (GES 4460 / 5170)
- Geography Summit (GES 4900)
- Vogt, Brandon (under review). Mountain Meteorology. Oxford Bibliographies.
- Hodanish, Steve, B. Vogt, and P. Wolyn (accepted). Colorado lightning climatology. Journal of Operational Meteorology.
- Madsen, Michael, B. Vogt, T.H.D. Dao, and S. Jennings (under review, Dec., 2018). Fire then flood – Practical procedures and warnings when detecting topographic change between airborne LiDAR datasets collected at different spatial resolutions. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms.
- Vogt, Brandon, S. Lapham, and R. Theobald. 2018. The Physical Geography of the San Luis Valley Region of South Central Colorado. National Council for the Social Sciences. Social Studies and the Young Learner 30:3 (Jan./Feb.)
- Vogt, Brandon, and E. Skop. 2017. The Silverton field experience: A model geography course for achieving high-impact educational practices (HEPs). Journal of Geography in Higher Education. 41(4): 574-589.
- Vogt, Brandon, and S. Hodanish. 2016. A geographical analysis of warm season lightning / landscape interactions across Colorado, USA. Applied Geography 75: 93-103.
- Havlick, D., T. Huber, E. Billmeyer, B. Vogt, and K. Rodman. 2016. Informal trail creation: Hiking, trail running, and mountain bicycling in shortgrass prairie. Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
- Hodza, P., Schaab, G. Coetzee, S. Van der Merwe, F. and B. Vogt. 2015. Comparing proportional compositions of geospatial technology related programs at three universities. South African Journal of Geomatics 4(3): 240-249.
- Vogt, Brandon, and S. Hodanish. 2014. A high-resolution lightning map of the state of Colorado. Monthly Weather Review 142(7): 2353-2360.
- Vogt, Brandon. 2014. Visualizing summertime lightning patterns on Colorado Fourteeners. The Professional Geographer 66(1): 41-57.
- Vogt, Brandon, and P. Hodza. 2013. Using 'Digital Earth' to expose students to GIScience. Journal of Geography 112(5): 205-213.
- Vogt, Brandon. 2013. Colorado 14ers, Pixel by Pixel. In D. Albert, & G. Dobbs (Eds.), Emerging Methods and Multidisciplinary Applications in Geospatial Research (pp. 239-254). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. (reprint)
- Vogt, Brandon. 2013. Colorado 14ers, Pixel by Pixel. In Information Resources Management Association, USA (Ed.), Geographic Information Systems: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 1200-1215). (reprint)
- Vogt, Brandon. 2012. Terrestrial 3d laser scanners as tools to enhance undergraduate geography curriculum. Papers of the Applied Geography Conferences 35:21-26.
- Cameron, N., E. Butterworth, D. Cerney, W. Gribb, K. Haynes, B. Hodge, R. Honea and B. Vogt. 2012. Applied geography education in focus: strategic panel session. International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research 3(3).
- Vogt, Brandon. 2011. Exploring cloud-to-ground lightning earth highpoint attachment geography by peak current. Earth Interactions 15:1-16.
- Vogt, Brandon. 2011. Colorado 14ers, pixel by pixel. International Journal of Applied Geospatial Research 2(2):17-33
- Vogt, Brandon, and Edsall, R. 2010. Terrestrial laser scanning and exploratory spatial data analysis for the mapping of weathering forms on rock art panels. Geocarto International 1:1-21.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 LAS Outstanding Teaching Award
- 2012 AAG Enhancing Departments and Graduate Education (EDGE) Grant Recipient
- 2010 AAG Applied Geography Specialty Group Class Exercise Award Competition Winner
- 2009 CU President's Teaching and Learning Collaborative Award
- US Geological Survey On the Spot Award
- Eagle Scout
- Kodak Nomination of Excellence in Photography
Volunteer and Service
- Past President (2016) - Great Plains / Rocky Mountains (GP/RM) Division American Association of Geographers (AAG) www.uccs.edu/gprm2016
- Applied Geography Conferences Board Member 2013 - present
- GES Web Designer 2010 - present
- UCCS Cafe Scientifique Organizer 2016 - present
- GES Colloquium Series Organizer 2013 - 2016