*Be aware that fulfillment of minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission into the program. At the same time, students lacking one of the admittance requirements may be accepted provisionally on occasion. Provisionally accepted students must meet requirements to move to regular status within one year and demonstrate that deficiencies have been met to the MA director.
Traditional Students (students who hold an undergraduate degree from universities other than UCCS)
- Hold a baccalaureate degree or a master's degree from an accredited college or university, or demonstrate completion of work equivalent to the baccalaureate or master's degree given at this university.
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or better ("A" is equal to 4.0).
- GRE:Not a required component of the MA application.
- Have an area of specialization (i.e. research interests) that corresponds with the graduate faculty in GES.
International Students (international students who hold an undergraduate degree from non-US universities)
- English proficiency requirements: TOEFL iBT requirement of 89, or IELTS requirements of 6.5 (Official TOEFL/IELTS scores are valid for two years). Applicants who have completed a post-secondary degree at U.S. institution. Applicants with combined score of 297 in GRE with proficiency on the writing requirements. Applicants with ELS Center completion (level 112). Applicants with a minimum score of 460 on the English Proficiency Exam (KITE) within the past two years (UCCS can administer the KITE exam on an individual basis; students (UCCS and non-UCCS) are allowed to take the test no more than once per academic semester (fall, spring, summer)).
- Foreign transcripts evaluation:
- If UCCS is unable to verify the accreditation information for a foreign institution, applicants will be required to submit a foreign degree evaluation from any NACES members [www.naces.org/members.htm].
- If an applicant wishes to transfer any foreign graduate credits towards the graduate degree, a course-by-course foreign transcript evaluation any NACES members [www.naces.org/members.htm] must be submitted along with course descriptions and a syllabus in English upon admission.
Streamlined Admission for UCCS Students (current UCCS students in their final term to completing a BA in GES to the MA in Applied Geography degree program)
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from GES at UCCS.
- Have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.5 or better ("A" is equal to 4.0).
- Have an area of specialization (i.e. research interests) that corresponds with the graduate faculty of GES.
The deadline for receipt of all materials for Fall admittance is February 1.
GES requires that applicants complete an on-line application (which includes the area of specialization statement), fill out a tuition classification form, submit three letters of recommendation, provide copies of official transcripts from degree-granting institutions, and pay a $60 non-refundable application fee. Details: Application Information
Streamlined Admission for UCCS Applicants
- For currently enrolled students in the final term to completing the baccalaureate degree in GES.
- We require applicants to complete a "guaranteed admissions application," which should include the following: a completed tuition classification form, one letter of recommendation, a copy of your UCCS transcript, a statement of purpose (see below), and a $60 non-refundable application fee. All materials need to be submitted by February 1st.
- Note that applicants through this expedited process still need to be accepted for admission by the GES Graduate Faculty, and we strongly encourage you to contact specific faculty members in advance to discuss mutual research interests and the potential fit for advising.
- The Statement of Purpose should be 500 words or less and include the following: a) your academic and professional background; b) what leads you to pursue an MA in Applied Geography at UCCS; c) your research interests; and d) which 2-3 GES faculty members you would be most interested in working with as your initial advisor. For more information, see 'UCCS Streamlined Application' link on the Graduate School website.