Tips and Resources for New Faculty
This page should make your first couple of weeks at UCCS less stressful and more productive. The items below have been organized according to when you will need the information and where to go for it.
Essentials – Do these first!
- Sign contract, take oath (required by Colorado constitution)
- Get your Employee ID number that you will use on official forms from Human Resources
- University Center Information Desk located just outside of the bookstore.
- All cars parked on campus must display a parking pass. Obtain it at the Department of Public Safety (lower level of parking garage).
UCCS Computing ID and E-mail
- Your UCCS Computing ID and e-mail account are automatically created when all of the HR paperwork has been processed
- Tenure-track faculty and instructors will be added to the online campus directory, but lecturers will not.
- The IT Help Desk web site has instructions for network access, configuring email, hardware recommendations, etc.
- If you have a startup package, the computer setup should be arranged with IT by the departmental administrative assistant.
- If you don't have a computer in your office when you get here, come to the Faculty Resource Center in Columbine Hall 203 and use our PCs or Macs.
- Contact your department administrative assistant.
- Order online through the MyUCCS Portal and then select Faculty Textbook Adoptions or call Sharon Coddington at 255-3250.
For the beginning of classes...
Preparing your syllabus:
Set the stage for success by creating a learner-centered syllabus.
- Download Creating a Learner-Centered Syllabus or refer to The Course Syllabus: A Learning-centered Approach by Judith Grunert O'Brien, Barbara J. Millis, and Margaret W. Cohen.
- You may check out the book from the Kraemer Family Library or the Faculty Resource Center.
Something to consider: Everyone using the campus lab printers must pay per page to print.
- Please see the information about Pawprints (campus printing management system). Consider paperless grading (without a hard copy) within Blackboard or asking students to print their assignments double-sided which is the default printer setting in the labs. If faculty or staff members print in the labs, the cost will be charged to their department. Printers in faculty offices are supported by IT but supplies and paper are purchased by the department.
- Photocopies using the department copier that takes a department-specific code assigned by the administrative assistant.
- Use Blackboard to post docs or pdf files and to collect assignments to avoid printing, copying, and handing out paper.
Blackboard: The campus learning management system is Blackboard Learn 9.1.
See the FRC Blackboard Support pages for more information.
A couple of things to know about Blackboard:
- An empty course shell is created each semester for every section of every course listed in the official course inventory.
- Log into Blackboard with your UCCS computing username and password.
- If you do not see any courses, you are not yet listed in the system as the instructor of record.
- Check with your department administrative assistant.
- If you have an urgent need to access your Blackboard course, contact your Blackboard College Administrator to be manually enrolled.
- Most course materials can be posted in Blackboard.
- Video files must not be uploaded directly to Blackboard.
- Send a request related to video upload to email@example.com to arrange for your video to be uploaded to our streaming video server.
- For Blackboard training, call Jackie Crouch, Blackboard Certified Trainer, in the Faculty Resource Center at 719.255.4493.
- Training is provided either one-on-one or in a group either face-to-face or remotely in a web meeting room.
UCCS IT Helpdesk
For technical assistance with hardware, e-mail, UCCS campus network (wireless and VPN), or to order software with academic licensing, contact the
UCCS IT HelpDesk
El Pomar Center (under the clock tower)
Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM or Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Most campus classrooms are "smart", i.e., outfitted with a podium, computer, DVD player and ceiling mounted digital projector.
- Determine which classrooms are smart using the IT Smart Classrooms site
- To find the location of your classrooms, go to UCCS Course Search.
- Technology and some smart classrooms in Dwire Hall and Engineering are supported by college IT staff instead of campus IT. For questions, call
- College of Business IT (COBIT) at 719.255-4440
- College of Engineering and Applied Science IT 719.255-3333.
- Kraemer Family Library Faculty Services
- Information about accessing the library databases from off-campus
Last updated March 21, 2017