Mandatory International Health Insurance Policy
UCCS requires an International Health Insurance policy with the following minimum coverage:
- Minimum political evacuation and natural disaster ($100,000 USD)
- Minimum coverage per injury or sickness ($250,000 USD)
- Minimum repatriation of remains ($25,000 USD)
- Minimum medical evacuation ($500,000 USD)
Please review and ensure the policy you acquire has these minimums. Below are some additional questions to consider for an International Health Insurance policy. Considering such questions may feel difficult, but it is important to research and be prepared.
Review your policy carefully and consider these questions:
- What is covered and what is excluded?
- To what extent are preexisting conditions covered?
- To what extent is mental health care covered?
- What, if any, of your current prescriptions will be covered?
- What is the policy maximum?
- Will you be covered if alcohol is involved?
- Will you be covered for participation in sporting events or sport activities (i.e skiing, extreme sports)?
- At the core of any international policy are emergency evacuation services. What is the coverage level (we recommend the above minimums)?
- In the event that you are hospitalized, will the policy cover a visit by an immediate family member?
- Does the policy cover repatriation of mortal remains in the event of an extreme tragedy?
Students participating on faculty and staff-directed programs are required to provide proof of international health insurance for the duration of their program dates through their UCCS Abroad portal. Some programs may already have insurance built in to the cost of the program. In this case students are not required to purchase an additional plan and will not be required to provide proof of international health insurance.
For programs that do not provide an international health insurance plan you will need to purchase one based on the above listed mandatory minimums for international health insurance. You will need to upload proof of international health insurance to your UCCS Education Abroad application.
Exchange Programs (Semester, Academic-Year)
Depending on the country in which students are going, students may be required to any of the following:
- Enroll in the country's public health system/social security scheme
- Be required to purchase insurance through the foreign host university
- Be required to purchase a sufficient external international health insurance plan
Please note that the first two options would not be travel insurance and would only cover health situations in the country in which the student in studying. Therefore, it is recommended to also purchase an international health insurance policy. You will need to upload proof of mandatory international health insurance to your UCCS Education Abroad application.
3rd Party Programs (Semester, Academic-Year, Summer)
Most of UCCS' recommended 3rd party programs include international health insurance in the cost of their program fees. Please check with your program provider about the details for their international health insurance policy to ensure it meets UCCS mandatory international health insurance requirements. You will need to upload proof of international health insurance to your UCCS Education Abroad application.
There are three options for providing proof of an international health insurance policy:
1. UCCS has partnered with International Student Insurance for international health insurance policy. All UCCS students participating on education abroad can purchase a policy via International Student Insurance online here.
2. Secure coverage through your existing insurance provider, as long as it meets the above listed mandatory minimum insurance requirements
3. Purchase an international health insurance policy from a external provider. This policy needs to meet the above listed mandatory minimum insurance requirements.
NOTE: Most international health insurance policies do not include trip cancellation protections. If you are interested in this type of coverage it is recommended that you purchase an additional policy for trip cancellation.