The educational objectives of the Bachelor of Science degree program in Electrical Engineering are statements that describe the accomplishments of graduates 3-5 years post-graduation:
Illuminate: lifelong learning in electrical engineering
Alumni are expected to learn new and emerging engineering technologies and pursue graduate school or technology careers, including but not limited to technical development, project management, and technical sales.
Investigate: demonstration of electrical engineering principles
Alumni should demonstrate the ability to find and access information relevant to an application under development and have the ability to understand and approach various engineering problems and convert their solutions into engineering products.
Innovate: creative application of electrical engineering principles
Alumni should apply the theory and techniques of electrical engineering to innovative real-world solutions.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering has established the following educational outcomes for the Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE). By the time of graduation, students are expected to demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The acquisition of the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solution in a global, economic, environmental and social context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice