- The candidate must have a broad knowledge of science, math and engineering
- The candidate must have in-depth knowledge of the specific area in which the thesis research will be conducted
- The candidate must be able to read, understand, and evaluate professional literature on advanced topics in engineering and applied science.
- The candidate must be able to write technical reports and project documentation.
- The candidate must be able to make oral presentations of technical information.
- The candidate must demonstrate the capability to make fundamental and significant contributions in the area of engineering and applied science, mathematics, and engineering disciplines, along with the tools of research, to perform analysis and synthesis and to visualize potential areas of application.