Thomas MacLaren

Thomas MacLaren

 


  • BORN:
    • in Scotland February 16, 1863
  • EDUCATION
    • Stirling High School
    • Night Classes at South Kensington School of Art
    • Pupil in London office of Wallace & Flockhart Architects
  • AWARDS
    • Gold medal and traveling Scholarship of Royal Academy in 1884
    • Plugin traveling Scholarship
  • PRACTICE
    • Briefly in London
    • Health broke resulting in move to Colorado about 1898
    • First Denver, then Colorado Springs
  • COMPETITIONS
    • Avid competitor
    • Antlers Hotel
    • Denver Post Office and Courthouse
    • State Capitol - Olympia Washington
    • New York Municipal Building
    • Episcopal Cathedral - Denver
  • PARTERSHIPS
    • MacLaren & Thomas
    • MacLaren & Hetherington
  • LOCAL WORK (Colorado Springs, CO)
    • City Hall
    • Municipal Auditorium
    • South and West Jr. Highs
    • St. Stephens Church
    • Local Houses
    • Stairways and doors - State Capitol
  • CLAREMONT
    • Residence for Mr. And Mrs. Baldwin
    • MacLaren & Thomas Architects
    • Maclaren Designer
      • Travel to and sketches in Paris
      • Working drawings dated May 8, 1906
      • 1910 Newspaper article states cost of home alone at $200,000.00
      • Mrs. Baldwin some years later estimated total cost of property, house, stable, etc., at $750,000.00
      • Blevins Davis paid $250,000.00
  • DIED
    • December 4, 1928, at age of 65
    • Buried in evergreen Cemetery

MacLaren Building Timeline for Colorado Springs

 

1894-Grace Episcopal Church

1901-Watts Residence

1801 Culebra Ave.

1901-Steele Elementary School (1904)

1901-Long House 1505 Wood Ave.

1903-Colorado Springs City Hall

1904-Cragmor Sanatorium/Main BuildingCommissioned, sp. working drawings

1914 Opened

1906-Spencer Penrose Turkey Creek Farm

1908-Masonic Temple, (Part of original incorporated into new Masonic Temple on Fontmore)

1909-Modern Woodmen of America Sanitorium

1910-The Ferguson Building (original Opera House) 28 and ½ N. Tejon St.

1912-Sacred Heart Church

1914-The Stratton Building 31 and 1/2 S. Tejon

1915-Dairymen’s Quarters (Modern Woodmen of America)

1916-Male Help Dormitory (MWA)

1916-Penrose Pavillion (Monument Park)

1918-Elwood McGuire Residence 1216 N. Cascade

1918-Pauline Memorial Church, Broadmoor

1919-Claremont (Petite Trianon) Working Drawings (1906)

1919-R. J. Reiss, Residence (Broadmoor)

1920-St. Mary’s High School

1921-G. W. Stewart, Residence

1922-Antlers Hotel Garage

1922-D.F. Law Mortuary

1922-Glen Eyrie Carriage House (Alex Smith Cochran home)

1922-Manitou High School

1922-Mr. Thomas Cusack, Residence

1922-Mrs. M. S. Dannevik, Residence

1922-Municipal Auditorium

1922-Myron Stratton Home Dormitory

1922-W. W. Hite, Residence

1923-Gymnasium Senior High School

1923-Irene Morris, Residence

1923-Walter J. Radjord, Residence

1924-Bank of Manitou

1924-Claude B. Adams, Residence

1924-Mr. Robert Rhea, Residence

1924-North Jr. High School

1924-South and West Junior High Schools

1926-John H. Potter, Residence (Broadmoor)

1927-American Legion Hut

1927-Community Building (Cascade Ave.)

1927-George A. Fowler, Residence

1928-Alden Manor (3 Story Apts.: )

1928-Exchange Bank Building

1928-First Flight Service Building for Airport Colorado Springs

1928-Ishbel MacLeish, Residence

1929-Mamie Clark, Residence

1930-Colorado Springs Psychopathic Hospital

Broadmoor Hotel, Colonial Wing

Cheyenne School, El Paso County

Elks Home

Fire Station Number 1

Old Pioneer Museum, W. Kiowa (Pikes Peak Regionnal Library)

Vance House 1816 Wood Ave.

Van Picot House 1730 N. Cascade

 

 


Eulogy for Thomas MacLaren

Thomas MaLaren was born in Middleton Thornhill, Perthsire, Scotland in 1863 and died as the result of an operation at Glockner Sanatorium, Tuesday, December 4, 1928.

In his death the city lost one of its most distinguished citizens and the Caledonian Society one of its most talented, honored and beloved members.

As a workman he needed not to be ashamed. With that thoroughness characteristic of his race he mastered the principles of architecture and won worthy recognition not only in his native country of Great Brittain, but in his adopted country as well. Some of the most beautiful and enduring structures of this inter-mountain region bear silent testimony to his skill and efficiency. To say that he was the most skillful and artistic architect of this region is not bestowing praise, but proclaiming fact.

Art and Architecture are so intimitly related that it is not suprising that many beautiful creations in drawing and painting came from his hand and won him favorable recognition both here and abrouf

But beyond his worthy accomplishments in his chosin profession he will be known longest for his breadth and keeness of mind and the warmth and gretness of his heart. He was a brother beloved, rich in friendship and strong in affection. He combined in an unusual way intensity with poise, strong emotion with keen perception, vivid imagionation with balancing judgement. True to the best in art he was also loyal to the best in life. His spirit was anchored in a faith that did not waiver and a heart ever responsive to the needs of his fellow men. We cannot cease to mourn his loss nor will we fail to cherish his memory.