Communication, the process of exchanging information through a common set of symbols, has been the essence of humanity for thousands of years. For the individual who is curious about the different ways to communicate and how to communicate effectively in all sorts of environments to all sorts of people, this is an excellent field in which to major. Based in elements of the study of rhetoric and branching out into all fields of human communication, thus area of study is inclusive of most types of human communication. This is a major for people who enjoy working with other people and who enjoy speaking in public. The communication major at UCCS studies many types of communication (oral, family, non-verbal, professional, intercultural, etc). It explores the best way to adjust to make sure that the messages is received and understood. The Bachelor of Arts degree offers 5 options in Communication: Digital Filmmaking & Media Arts, General Communication, Media Studies, Professional Communication & Sport Communication.
- Public Relations Specialist / Public Affairs
- Marketing / Sales representative
- * Mediator / Negotiator
- Advertising / Marketing Manager
- Communications Specialist
- Corporate Communications
- *Speech Language Pathologist
- Event / Conference Planner
- Film / Video Editor
- Social Media Specialist
- Theater / Performing Arts / Film
- *International Relations
- Training & Development Specialist
*May require additional education or certification
- 2016 Annual median salary for Public Relations Specialists is $53,030; employment is expected to grow 21% by 2024.
- 2016 Annual median salary for Training & Development Specialists is $65,470; employment is expected to grow 27% by 2024.
- 2016 Annual median salary for Film / Video Editors is $62,760; employment is expected to grow 15% by 2024.
- 2016 Annual median salary for Event Planners is $41,230; employment is expected to grow 44% by 2024.
For More Information
UCCS Career Center