Complete the UCCS online application: //www.uccs.edu/~apply/ Initially, you will be emailed a temporary user ID and would have already set your own temporary password to begin the process. Once you have these two pieces of information, you will be able to complete the UCCS Graduate School online application.
Students who will apply as non-degree seeking students should use the printable non degree seeking application and mail it to:
Admissions and Records Office
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway Colorado Springs, Colorado 80918
2. Standardized Testing
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
Take the GRE or MAT for programs in Counseling and Human Services only (Not required for Counseling and Leadership students)
Take the GRE for Ph.D. program in Leadership, Research and Policy
Students who apply for other programs DO NOT need to take a standardized exam for admission
Obtain three letters of reference. Please identify individuals who can discuss your potential for the designated graduate program Students may use past professors, employers, supervisors, etc.
4. Transcripts of previous college work
Submit one transcript from all institutions of higher education previously attended.
Students who attended or graduated from UCCS do NOT have to request official transcripts for admission.
Students should have a 2.75 undergraduate GPA or 3.0 graduate GPA or above.
Applicants with any post-secondary course work from an international higher education institution that is recognized by their country’s Education Ministry must
submit a course-by-course foreign degree evaluation by member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services http://www.naces.org/members.htm), or World Education Services/WES https://www.wes.org/)
5. Submit a Career Goal Statement
See department specific requirements below
6. Submit a Current Resume
7. Complete a Background Check
Colorado Bureau of Investigation Instant Background Check for Admission
- Go to website (https://www.cbirecordscheck.com/Index.aspx )
- Click on Individuals
- $6.85 is the cost to receive the results
- Print a copy of the background check and turn in with your admissions materials Current CO school or agency employees who completed a background check for employment may provide a copy of their CO license or a copy of the results of the background check used for employment.
8. Complete an Interview
Please contact the College of Education Student Resource Office to set up an admissions interview. firstname.lastname@example.org 719-255-4996
Send all College of Education Application Materials to: Admissions and Records Office 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway Colorado Springs, Colorado 80918
Specific Department Requirements/Descriptions for a
Career Goal Statement
Counseling and Human Services (CMHC and SC only)
Prepare a career goal statement to include a self-evaluation. We are particularly interested in your level of self-awareness, academic potential, personal growth experiences, your interpersonal skills, why you have decided to become a counselor and what you hope to do with your counseling degree. It may be address any volunteer work in the human services field.
Curriculum and Instruction (All programs)
Please describe why you have applied to your respective program and want to be a professional educator. Please be sure to include personal and professional information that supports this decision. Your statement should be at least two pages in length, double spaced.
Leadership, Research and Foundations (All programs)
- What are your reasons for applying to this program?
- What are your professional career goals?
- How does this program align with your goals?
- In what ways have your life experiences, work, and volunteer activities prepared you for work in student affairs?
- What strengths do you believe will ensure your success in this program?
- What do you bring to the program that will benefit your student colleagues?
- What other factors do you believe are important for consideration in evaluating your application?
- What factors might limit your ability to complete this program?
In your career goal statement, please share some of your reasons for choosing teaching as a career. Please also tell something of your personal background and your motivation for teaching. Your statement should be 2 – 3 pages in length.
- What motivates you toward a career in teaching?
- What specific events of experiences in your life have led you to want to become a special education teacher?
- Describe your thought process ad you made the decision to apply to this program.
- What assets do you bring to the field of special education?