Gurvirender Tejay, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Business (Information Systems), Virginia Commonwealth University (2008)
M.S., Computer Science, The University of Chicago (2003)
M.A., Economics, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (2002)
B.A., Economics, Magna cum laude, University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (2000)
- Cybersecurity Management
- Information Privacy
- Computer Ethics
University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Colorado (2019 – present)
- Associate Professor of Information Systems, College of Business
St. Thomas University, Florida (2016 – 2019)
- Associate Professor, Gus Machado School of Business
- Gary Goldbloom Endowed Distinguished Chair in Cyber Security Management
- Director, Center for Cyber Security Studies (2016-2019)
- Program Director - Cyber Security Management, Gus Machado School of Business (2016-2018)
Ludwig-Maximilian-University, Germany (2012)
- Visiting Research Scientist, Center for Advanced Management Studies
Nova Southeastern University, Florida (2007 – 2016)
- Associate Professor, College of Engineering and Computing (2015-2016)
- Chair, IS Curriculum Committee (2013-2015)
- Associate Professor, Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences (2011-2015)
- Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences (2007-2011)
- Research Seminars: Scientific Inquiry for Information Security, Information Security Management Seminar, Information Privacy Seminar, Knowledge Management
- Research Methods: Research Design in Business Administration
- Research Projects: Directed Research, Research Project in Information Security Management, Research Project in Knowledge Management
- Cybersecurity: Cyber Security Governance, Cyber Security Law, Cyber Security Risk Management, Enterprise Information Security, Seminar in Cyber Security Management
- Security Technology: Cyber Security Technologies, Ethical Hacking & Intrusion Detection
- Information Systems: Advanced Information Systems, Information Ethics, Information Privacy, Information Systems Project Management
- Introductory: Introduction to Information Systems, Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
- Upper level: Database Systems, Information Systems Planning, Projects in JAVA, Systems Analysis and Design
Journal Publications (Selected)
- (Co-author) “Utilizing normative theories to develop ethical actions for better privacy practices,” Journal of Information Privacy and Security (2017).
- (Co-author) “Examining privacy concerns and ecommerce adoption in developing countries: The impact of culture in shaping individuals' perceptions toward technology,” Computers & Security, Volume 67 (2017).
- (Co-author) “Information system security commitment: A study of external influences on senior management,” Computers & Security, Volume 59 (2016).
- (Co-author) “Evaluation of Information Security Controls in Organizations by Grey Relational Analysis,” International Journal of Dependable and Trustworthy Information Systems, Volume 2, Issue 3 (2013).
- (Co-author) “Reducing Cyber Harassment Through de jure Standards: A study on the lack of the information security management standard adoption in the U.S.,” International Journal of Management and Decision Making, Volume 11, Issue 5/6 (2011).
Professional Service (Selected)
- Co-Editor, Special Issue, The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, ACM SIGMIS journal (2018 - present).
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Cyber Research and Education (2018 - present).
- Coordinating Editor, Information Systems Frontiers journal (2017).
- Editorial Review Board, Special Issue on Security and Privacy in 21st Century Organisations, European Journal of Information Systems (2016).
- Co-Editor, Special Issue on Cybercrime, Computers & Security journal, Volume 38 (2013).
- Program Co-Chair, UNESCO International Federation on Information Processing (IFIP) WG8.11/WG11.13, Dewald Roode Information Security Workshop, Louisiana (2019).
- Co-Chair, SIG Philosophy Workshop, 26th European Conference on Information Systems, Portsmouth, U.K. (2018).
- Chair for Mini-track - Cybercrime and Information Security Strategy, 23rd Americas Conference on Information Systems, San Diego (2016).
- Co-Chair, Emergent Research Forum, 21st Americas Conference on Information Systems, Puerto Rico (2015).
- Co-Chair, 8th Annual AIS SIGSEC Workshop on Information Security and Privacy, Auckland, New Zealand (2014).
- Chair for Mini-track - Cybercrime in the Digital Economy, 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Maui, Hawaii (2012).
- Advisory Board Member, Rutgers Leading Disruptive Innovation Board, Center for Innovation Education, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, NJ (2018 – present).
- Advisory Board Member, Cyber Security, City University of Seattle, WA (2018 – present).
- Member, STEM Advisory Board, Miami-Dade County Public Schools, National Academy Foundation, FL (2016 – 2019).
- Member, Technology Committee, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, FL (2016 – 2019).
Member, US Secret Service Miami Electronic Crimes Task Force, FL (2016 – 2019).
Honors and Awards (Selected)
- Service Award, ISACA South Florida (2018).
- Certificate of Appreciation - Exceptional Service in the Public Interest, FBI InfraGard (2017).
- Runners up Best Paper Award, Fifth IEEE eCrime Researchers Summit (2010).
- Virginia Commonwealth University Graduate Fellowship award; awarded 3 times (2004 - 2006).
- UW-Milwaukee Graduate Fellowship award (2001).
- Gold Chord, Commencement Honors, UW-Milwaukee (2000).
Media Presence (Selected)
- Interviewed by Amara Sohn from NBC Miami for news story on “Major Corporations Warn of Phishing Scam after Hackers Steal Millions of Email Addresses.” Story aired on WTVJ Channel 6 on April 4, 2011 (at 7pm and 11pm).
- Interviewed by Katya Maruri from Miami Today for news article “University adds executive doctorate in information security” (2017).
- Interviewed by Catherine Lackner from Miami Today for news article “Incoming professor lays plans to develop cybersecurity hub” (2015).
- Interviewed by Cindy Riley from Chicago Tribune for article “Information Technology plays a crucial role as companies look to the future” (2011).
- Interviewed by Michael Bergbauer from Gold Coast Magazine for article “Private Purchase = Safe Shopping: Avoiding Identity Theft this Holiday Season” (2010).
- Association of Information Systems
- International Federation for Information Processing
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association
- Information Systems Security Association
- Society for Information Management