UCCS Leadership Development Program
Your managers can transform into strong leaders with this high-impact program that provides the skills they need to bring out the best in people, teams, and your organization. Drawing on evidence-based strategies and faculty expertise, this program provides unparalleled opportunities for growth and transformation that is immediately applied through a ongoing capstone project. The UCCS Leadership Development Program: Developing Emerging Leaders will challenge emerging leaders to grow through an interactive learning environment - a perfect blend of applied learning tailored for business professionals.
Who Should Attend?
Professional with a non-business degree
Military and/or veteran transitioning into a civilian career
Next generation taking over a family-owned business
New Supervisors & leaders
What You Will Learn
Wednesday, July 22, 2020 | Facilitated by Don Warrick, DBA
- Changing Times and the Need for High Impact Leaders
- What it will take to Succeed Personally and Organizationally in Changing Times
- The Critical Skills in Being a High Impact Leader
- Understanding Your Leadership Style
- Understanding the Importance of Building Strong Cultures and Evaluating Your Leadership Skills in Building Culture
- Developing a Sound Leadership Philosophy and Management System
Wednesday, July 29, 2020 | Facilitated by Scott Van Ness, MBA
- Managing change: Individual, Teams, Organizations
- The Role of Project Management
- Project Structure: Tools and Techniques to Drive Successful Outcomes
- Data-Based Project Leadership
- Project Ownership: Leading, Reporting, Presenting
Wednesday, August 5, 2020 | Facilitated by Shane Sherman, MBA
A Framework for Managing Change in Organizations:
Preparing for change
Politics of change
Identifying objectives and action planning
Assessment and measurement of progress
Best Practices in Change Management:
Taking an evidence-based approach rather than a gut-feeling approach
Wednesday, August 12, 2020 | Facilitated by Nina Polok, Ph.D
- Critical People Skills for Leaders and What Happens If You Don't Develop Them
- Listening Skills
- Conversation Skills to Get Things Done
- Skills for Handling Challenging Conversations
- Helping Your People Develop People Skills
Wednesday, August 19, 2020 | Facilitated by Dustin Bluhm, PhD.
- Characteristics of Effective Teams
- The Stages of Team Development
- The role of the Team Leader
- Overcoming Natural Team Inefficiencies
Capstone: Project Presentations and Graduation | Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
Application of Learning
This program is an executive education offering, meaning that it includes theory, research and evidence-based practices on the topic of Leadership Development. The program will also cover strategies of how to apply the theory and evidence-based practices into your own organization and specific industry.
Participants of this 5-module program will immediately apply learning and new skills through an individual leadership capstone project.
Program Capstone Project
Participants of this 5-module program will immediately apply learning and new skills through an individual leadership capstone project. Participants will choose a project or initiative within their referring organization, in consultation with program faculty, to apply leadership concepts and skills. Projects will progress throughout the program, and participants will have one month after Module 5 to complete the project. Participants will then deliver a short project briefing presentation in December 2019 to complete the program and graduate.
If a participant does not have a referring organization for a capstone project, program staff will work with the participant to choose a non-profit for a project.
- Program handouts
- Breakfast, coffee and snacks each day
- Certificate of completion from the UCCS College of Business (if all sessions are completed)
Regular Registration: $1,800
UCCS Registration (CU Students, Staff, Faculty, and Alumni): $1,600
*Alumni from any CU institution and/or OPED executive education programs are eligible for Discounted Registration rates.
*Email Pamela Preston at firstname.lastname@example.org for discount code to enter at registration.
- The UCCS College of Business Executive Education program is a non-degree program.
- Participants will not receive college credit for the program.
- This program will provide leadership skills in a format designed to be immediately applied.
Participants who successfully complete the UCCS Leadership Development Program: Developing Emerging Leaders program and capstone project will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Colorado Colorado Springs, signed by the dean of the UCCS College of Business. Participants will only receive a Certificate of Completion from the UCCS College of Business if all sessions are successfully completed.
We understand that professionals occasionally have changes in plans or schedules that will result in their not being able to attend the program as planned. If you wish to cancel and receive a full refund, you must submit your request in writing via email to OPED@uccs.edu at least 5 business days prior to the program start date.
Meet the Facilitators
Transformational growth to take your career to the next level.
Individual programming is designed and offered based on requests from industry-specific professionals. We offer programs with a wide variety of time commitments, including hour-long sessions, full day programming or multi-part series over the course of a few weeks.
Customized executive education for your toughest business challenges.
We partner with organizations to co-design, develop and deliver impactful custom programs tailored to meet your specific business priorities and goals. Programs provide training across all levels of an organization, from top-level executives to front-line staff.