WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
- A professional mentor who works in the industry in which you're interested.
- Invaluable insights into today's job market including tips on networking, interviewing, writing your resume, making ethical decisions, and building your online identity.
- Networking business cards personalized with your information.
- Professional photograph of you to use for your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn.
- Tours of local companies - one big and one small - to understand more about corporate culture.
- Dining and networking etiquette training (dinner included!).
- Opportunity to interact with and learn from other students and their Career Coaches.
This is a tremendous opportunity to gain confidence and skills that will help you succeed in your chosen field post-graduation!
WHAT IS A CAREER COACH?
A professional alumnus or business community member who has volunteered his or her time and expertise to help you develop your career. You will meet with you Career Coach once a month during the program (8 months, from September through April). Together, you will talk about what to expect when you enter the professional world, how to network and put your best foot forward, how to craft a stand-out résumé, and what to expect in the "real world" of your particular industry.
A guidebook will be given to you to use during your one-on-one meetings with your Career Coach; however, we encourage Career Coaches to impart their own experiences in developing a meaningful relationship and deepening the mentorship process.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM ENTAIL?
In addition to meeting with your Career Coach once a month during the semester, you will also interact with and meet the other students and Career Coaches in the program during planned events, occurring once a month with the exception of January.
- TOURS - During the program, the entire group will tour several businesses around Colorado Springs, each giving a different perspective on various industries. EXAMPLES of these businesses include: Colorado Springs Utilities (government enterprise), Epicentral Coworking (entrepreneurship and small business), and Cherwell Software. Lunch will be provided during these events.
- ETIQUETTE DINNER - Facilitated by one of our very own UCCS instructors, this evening event will feature a four-course, full-service meal. As you dine, you will learn proper dining etiquette - a must know in business!
- MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER EVENT - The final event will feature a local motivational speaker. A great way to end on a high note!
Please refer to the homepage for a schedule of events.
AM I QUALIFIED?
In order to apply for this program, you must be a junior or senior in the UCCS College of Business in good standing (2.5 GPA or higher). You must have a desire to grow and learn and demonstrate commitment and follow-through on meeting with your Career Coach and attending all events (unless there is a class conflict). All majors within the College of Business are eligible. Accepted students will have satisfactorily completed the application by the due date, and a Career Coach stating the same industry of interest must be available in order to make an appropriate match.
For more information on the program, please contact Samantha Wood of the College of Business Alumni Relations Office at 719-255-5174 or email@example.com.