The UCCS PGA Golf Management Program offers high-level academic and professional training that prepares its graduates to excel in exciting careers in the golf industry.
The entire curriculum involves three concurrent educational streams:
- An undergraduate program in business consisting of 120 semester credit hours.
- The PGA/PGM Golf ManagementTM 3.0 training program delivered in partnership with The PGA of America.
- At least sixteen months of off-campus internships under the supervision of the PGA Golf Management Program Internship Coordinator and PGA Professional managers in the golf industry.
About two thirds of the academic coursework in the PGA Golf Management Program is taken in the College of Business with the remainder in areas outside business, thus providing students with broad educational experiences. Most of the academic program is identical to the program pursued by all Business majors. More specific information about the academic curriculum requirements can be found in the PGA Golf Management Model Degree Program.
Unlike other business students, PGA Golf Management students take specialized academic and professional courses that develop their expertise in the areas essential to securing a successful career in the golf industry. The UCCS PGA Golf Management Program offers high-level academic and professional training that prepares its graduates to excel in exciting careers in the golf industry.
The PGA Professional Golf Management Program 3.0 incorporates knowledge and application, integrating them for powerful experiences that help you become the best PGA Golf Professional you can be. The classes build on each other, enhancing and reinforcing knowledge you've gained throughout the program. When you've successfully completed your degree program and the PGA Golf Management Program 3.0, including work experience activities, exams and internships, you will be eligible for election into the PGA of America as a PGA Golf Professional.
PGA Golf Management Internships
Full-time internships are integral to the PGA Golf Management curriculum as important learning and career preparation experiences. 16 months of internship are completed under the direction and mentoring of outstanding PGA Golf Professionals at more than 700 approved excellent facilities throughout the United States, and this number is growing. Students participate in the internship experience during the:
Summer after freshman year - 3 Months
Summer and fall after sophomore year - 6/7 Months
Summer and fall after senior year - 6/7 Months
UCCS PGA Golf Management Students have interned at such sites as:
- The Broadmoor Golf Club (Colorado)
- Bandon Dunes (Oregon)
- Whistling Straits (Wisconsin)
- PGA of America National Office (Florida)
- Medinah (Illinois)
- Pebble Beach (California)
- Rocky Mountain Junior Golf Tour
- Will Robins Golf (California)
- Oakmont CC (Pennsylvania)
- Oakland Hills (Michigan)
- PGA Section Offices
- Barton Creek Resort (Texas)
- And many, many more (over 700+ sites!)
PGA Professional & Player Development
Before graduation, students must pass the Playing Ability Test (PAT), administered by sections of the PGA all over the country. Our Player Development Instructor plans activities and instruction to help you prepare for and pass this demanding test of your golf skills. Our indoor state-of-the-art swing lab will help you refine your swing year-round so you can play your best.
As a PGA Golf Management student at UCCS, you will go through the training program developed and implemented by the PGA. This includes PGA work-experience activities and online knowledge tests. In addition, we expand your knowledge and skills required to succeed in a golf career by offering professional seminars such as:
- Player Development Workshops
- Golf in Schools Training
- The First Tee of Pikes Peak Coaches Training
- Colorado Section PGA Meetings, Seminars & Workshops
- Golf Club Design & Repair Seminars
- Merchandise & Retail Seminars
- Guest Speakers
- Fall Kickoff Day at UCCS