Martin Key, Ph.D.
Thomas “Martin” Key is Assistant Professor of Digital Strategy and Marketing at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. Dr. Key was originally trained as a cultural anthropologist before founding his own business in 2003. After nearly a decade, he went back to university and earned a PhD in Business Administration with emphases in marketing and strategy. His research primarily deals with digital and strategic marketing issues at the executive level and the study of marketing’s role in the firm. He has published in business and marketing journals including the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, the Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, the Journal of Marketing Channels, Business Horizons, and the Journal of Consumer Behaviour. He is a Daniels Ethics Initiative Fellow and Cybersecurity Fellow and frequently works with new startups as well as established firms to help them create plans to grow and create value for their customers.
- PhD, Marketing, Southern Illinois University (2012)
- Master of Arts, Socio-Cultural Anthropology, Southern Illinois University (2003)
- Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology, Southern Illinois University (2000)
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs (2014- present)
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, St. John Fisher College (2012-2014)
- November 2013-2014: Strategic digital marketing consultant for The Purple Briefcase
- January-April 2012: Invited consultant and strategic marketing counselor for entrepreneurial startups with Southern Illinois Small Business Development Center.
- May 2003-May 2009: Owner/Founder of Key Industries Inc. DBA: Clayship Guitar & Repair
- Key, Thomas M. (2017) “Domains of Digital Marketing Channels in the Sharing Economy,” Journal of Marketing Channels, 24 (1-2).
- Key, Thomas M. and Andrew Czaplewski, (2017), “Upstream Social-Marketing Strategy: An Integrated Marketing Communications Approach,” Business Horizons. 60 (3).
- Clark, Terry, Thomas M. Key, Monica Hodis, & Daniel Rajaratnam, (2014) "The Intellectual Ecology of Mainstream Marketing Research: An Inquiry into the Place of Marketing in the Family of Business Disciplines," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 42 (3).
UCCS Articles about Martin Key, Ph.D.
- How good is your company’s mobile strategy? - April 27, 2018
- Creating a digital strategy that can grow business - October 27, 2017