FAQs for Ch.33

UCCS SFS - 3rd Party Sponsor Billing - FAQs for Ch.33

Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  1. What is the process for the post 9/11 GI Bill to pay my bill?

    Once you have registered for your classes, you must visit the Office of Veteran and Military Student Affairs in the McCord-Herbst Student Veteran Center to turn in a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which will be sent to you directly from the VA after you apply for your benefits.  This is the form that states your percentage of eligibility as well as your months of entitlement.  You will also need to submit a Request for Enrollment Verification (REV).  This form informs us that you want to use your benefits for the upcoming term and can be found here (//www.uccs.edu/military/current-students/enrollment-certification) or in the Forster House.

    **Please note we only need you to submit your COE once (unless your percentage changes), but we need you to submit a new REV for every term you want to use your benefits**

    Once these documents are received, the OVMSA will submit your initial Certification of Enrollment to the VA.  This initiates any benefits payable directly to the student (BAH and Book/Supply Stipend, if eligible) from the VA.

    Next, enrollment certification information is provided to the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing and a conditional credit will be placed on your student account for the estimated amount the VA will pay based on the eligibility stated on your COE.  If we have not yet received a copy of your COE UCCS will certify your enrollment to the VA but the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing will not place a conditional credit on your student account until received.  Once the census period is over, the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing will submit the final Certification of Enrollment to the VA, providing them with the final tuition and fee amounts to initiate payment to the school.  All schedule changes will be submitted to the VA after the census date.

  2. Do I have to be certified every semester for the VA to pay my tuition and fees?

    Yes, the VA requires Certification of Enrollment every semester you intend to use your Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI BILL benefits to cover your tuition and fees.  This means you must submit a new REV every term.

  3. By what date do I need to have required paperwork in to be certified in the UCCS VA office to avoid late and service charges?

    You must turn in all required paperwork, including the certificate of eligibility and be certified in the UCCS VA office on or prior to the first tuition payment due date/census date of every semester.  If you are not certified, or the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing has not received your certification information by this date in every term, you are subject to late and service charges until your certification or a copy of your certificate of eligibility are received.  The student will be responsible to pay any late and service charges assessed, as these costs are not covered by Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.

  4. I do not receive 100% tuition and fee from the Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill.  When is my portion due?

    If the VA will pay less than 100% for your Ch. 33 benefit, you need to pay your portion of the bill in full or enroll in a payment plan prior to the first payment due date of the term.  If your portion is not paid you will be responsible for any late and service charges that accrue on the student account.

  5. What happens if I drop a class after the first day of the term?

    If you drop a class after the first day of the term, the VA will seek the tuition and fees paid for that class.  If you drop a class during the census period, the VA overpayment will be applied to your student account.  If you owe a balance, the payment will first be applied to that balance, and then any remaining overpayment will be refunded to you.  The VA will contact you via letter for repayment of this course.

    If you have dropped the class after census date, UCCS will not refund any payments to you or the VA and the VA will seek the overpayment from the student for the full cost of the dropped class.  If you have a mitigating circumstance that led to the drop (i.e. illness or injury, change in work schedule), please notify the OVMSA and the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing immediately as the VA may reduce your debt based upon the mitigating circumstance.  You will have two weeks from the date of the drop to notify the school and provide documentation of the mitigating circumstance, otherwise the VA will be notified of your change in enrollment without a mitigating circumstance.

    **Please note your BAH may be impacted by credit reductions.  Please contact the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing before dropping any classes**

  6. I received a letter from the VA debt management center stating I owe a debt because the VA overpaid the school for tuition and fees.  What is the school's refund policy?

    For all overpayments sourced from a student dropping courses during the census period, a refund will be applied to the student account directly.  All overpayments applied to the student account will be applied toward any outstanding charges owed to the University of Colorado prior to any refund being generated directly to the student.

    For all overpayments sourced from a student dropping courses after the census date, no refund will be issued, but you may still owe a debt to the VA for that course.

    For overpayments due to duplicate payments from the VA, a student withdrawing from all courses prior to the term start date and a student never attending, all overpayments sent will be sent directly to the VA at the following address as specified by the VA:

    Department of Veteran Affairs
    Debt Management Center
    P.O. Box 11930
    St. Paul, MM 55111

    A refund will be generated to the student or VA after census date for the semester the overpayment was made. This is to reduce payment issues from adding/dropping courses. The check will have the students VA file number if sent directly to the VA.

    UCCS will work to notify every student of an overpayment applied to their student account or sent back to the VA on their behalf with a formal notification. If you have more specific questions regarding the details of an overpayment on your behalf please call 719-255-3739, if we cannot answer your questions you will be referred to the Central VA.

  7. What happens if I add a class after the first day of the term?

    If you add a class after that class has already started, and you have not attended the class since the first day, the VA will not pay for the full cost of that course.  The VA will send the school a prorated payment and we will be forced to reverse the conditional credit on your account based upon the amount of the underpayment.  You will receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the underpayment and you will have 30 days to pay the remaining balance.

    It is very important to remember that any changes to your schedule after the first day of the term will likely result in you owing money either to the school or the VA.  Please contact the Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing at 719-255-3739 before changing your schedule so you are aware of any financial impact those changes may have.

  8. How does my College Opportunity Fund (COF) affect Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill?

    UCCS Office of 3rd Party Sponsor Billing subtracts COF (for those who are eligible) before submitting tuition and fee information to the VA.  Meaning, the VA will pay tuition minus COF, as long as the student is eligible to receive COF funds.  This is requested by the VA and the UCCS leadership team, as COF is defined as direct funding to undergraduate students from the State of Colorado in the form of a stipend paid to the school directly.  The stipend is used to reduce down the student share of tuition charged by the school.  If the student chooses not to use the COF toward their bill, the student is financially responsible to pay for any remaining balance on their student account by the published due dates to avoid late and service charges.

    For more information on COF and how to apply and authorize please see the following page:


  9. I am planning on using other sources of 3rd party funding in addition to Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, can I use multiple sources and receive a refund?

    No, Ch.33 GI Bill is always considered the last payer on your account outside of Financial Aid.  This payment priority is required by the VA and UCCS will notify other 3rd party sponsors of any Ch.33 benefits being received.

    The exception to the use of multiple sources of  funding is if you are not eligible for 100% tuition and fees under Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill, you can use an additional source of 3rd party to fill the remaining amount due up to 100% of tuition and fees.

    Example:  Ch.33 covers 60% tuition and fees.  You can use CO National Guard (federal or state) to pay their portion first, and Ch. 33 will pay 60% of the remaining balance.

    If receiving federal funds from any of the following programs:

    • Reserve Officers Training (ROTC)
    • Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)
    • Health Professionals Scholarship Program (HPSP)
    • Government Employees' Training Act (GETA)

    The VA requires UCCS, and all Ch.33 schools, to report the amount of tuition and fees initially charged to the individual after deducting any amounts paid with the above listed Federal Funds.

  10. My enrollment has been certified in the UCCS VA office, why don't I have a credit on my account showing Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI BILL is covering my tuition and fees?

    This is because you have not provided UCCS with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA or your Request for Enrollment Verification for the current term.  If you have submitted the necessary paperwork and you still do not see a conditional credit on your account by first day of the term, please contact the OVMSA immediately as they may need additional paperwork for you.

  11. What else do I need to know about using my Post 9/11 benefits at UCCS?
    • The VA will only pay for in-state rates; students being charged as non-residents will be responsible for the difference.  Please contact Admission & Records at 719-255-3361 for more information about your residency.  If you are a non-resident student you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon program.  Please contact the OVMSA at 719-255-3253 for more information.
    • The VA will only pay for classes that are part of your degree plan.  It is very important that you meet with your student advisor before registering for classes every semester.  Just because you think a course should count towards your degree plan doesn’t mean it will.  If you want to take a class that is not part of your degree plan please let us know as soon as possible so we do not accidentally certify it with the VA.
    • Monitor your student account.  If you have a balance on your account that doesn’t look right, there may be an issue (i.e. non-resident charges, COF not authorized, courses ineligible for certification).  Please contact UCCS immediately with any questions you have about a balance on your account.  Any balance that the VA does not pay is ultimately the student’s responsibility.
    • If you have any questions about your Ch. 33 benefits or your student account, please contact Allison Noel at 719-255-3739 or at anoel@uccs.edu

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.