Past Due Billing Process

UCCS SFS - Billing - Past Due Billing Process
Penalties for Past Due Accounts

When your account becomes past due, the following penalties may apply:

  • There will be a financial stop on your record preventing access to registration, transcripts, drop/add, diploma, and/or re-admittance.  This stop will not be removed until your past due balance is paid-in-full regardless if you have arranged a payment plan.
  • In addition to a monthly service charge of 1% per month on the unpaid balance, a late payment fine will be assessed according to the following table:
    From To Fine
    $0 $49.99 $0
    $50 $99.99 $5
    $100 $299.99 $10
    $300 $499.99 $20
    $500 $699.99 $30
    $700 $899.99 $40
    $900 & above $50
  • If your account is referred to an external collection agency, you will be responsible to pay any collection costs, court fees, attorney fees, and other fees allowed by the Uniform Consumer Credit Code.
  • Your debt will be reported to national credit bureaus.
  • Your income tax refund may be used to pay your delinquent balance through a tax offset.
  • You may be subject for wage garnishment if legal judgment is granted against you.
Late Payment Fine and Service Charge Dispute

When your account becomes past due and the penalties described above have been applied to your account you may submit a dispute form by clicking on the link below, if the penalties were assessed due to University error. 

Please note: We do not reverse of adjust late payment fines or service charges unless there is an identified University error that occurred to delay payment by the published due date. If the error was sourced from the Office of Financial Aid, please contact them directly to dispute the penalties at or 719-255-3460.

→  Late Fee Dispute Entry Form  ←

Billing Overview for Past Due Accounts

All prior semester past due student accounts will be referred to the Student Debt Management (SDM) department for collection.  You have a limited opportunity to establish a payment arrangement with SDM before your account is placed with a third-party collection agency, per Colorado law.

Until your debt is paid-in-full, a financial stop will remain on your record, preventing access to registration, transcripts, or re-admittance.  Service charges will continue to accrue at a rate of 1% (of the unpaid balance) per month.

Student Debt Management Contact Information:


Promissory Note

To avoid placement with a collection agency, you must establish a monthly payment arrangement with SDM.  To activate a payment plan, we require that you sign a Promissory Note and make the initial payment.  The Promissory Note indicates the terms of the repayment agreement and the amount of your monthly payment.  Your total amount due will determine the amount of your monthly payment unless the amount causes undue hardship.  In this case, we will determine the monthly amount due based on the submission to our office your completed Financial Statement stating your current finances and financial obligation with official supporting documentation.  If the requirement is not fulfilled, the repayment agreement will become null and void.

Student Debt Management Forms

These forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you do not have Adobe, download it here.


    Balances for a semester become PAST DUE after the final payment deadline has passed as described in the Main-Campus Billing Overview.

  • Once your balance becomes past due, you will need to submit this monthly repayment promissory agreement to avoid any further collections action. Financial stops will still be active until your balance is paid-in-full.

Referrals to Other Departments

For questions regarding your account, you may contact SDM.  You may be referred to other departments for your specific questions or concerns, such as:

Office of the Registrar - 719-255-3361

Tuition & Mandatory Fees Appeal from Drop/Withdrawal Refunds & Late Registration

You will need to make a formal appeal to the Office of the Registrar.  The appeals are considered under extenuating circumstances.  You can obtain the appeal forms at or call the office at 719-255-3361.  You may need to officially withdraw from your classes and contact the department of your major to retroactively withdraw from a prior semester.  Official documentation must be provided to substantiate claims for extenuating circumstances.  Appeal deadlines will also need to be met. 

Submitting a request for an appeal does not exempt your account from late and service charges or financial holds.  For policies about Drop and Withdrawal refunds, refer to the Course Information Center.  If you disagree with tuition and fee charges and fail to avail yourself of the appeal process by the appeal deadline, you waive your right to appeal.

Financial Aid - 719-255-3460

Contact the Office of Financial Aid for further information regarding financial aid reversals (due to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and withdrawals) and for questions about loans and grants.

Tuition Assistance / 3rd Party / Ch. 33 - 719-255-3391

For questions, refer to the 3rd Party Sponsor Billing web page.

Bookstore - 719-255-3247

Contact the UCCS Bookstore for more information about book charges, including rentals and e-books.

Family Development Center (FDC) - 719-255-3483

Contact the FDC for more information about FDC charges.

Kraemer Family Library - 719-255-3286

Contact the Kraemer Family Library for more information about book fines and lost book charges.

Parking and Transportation Services - 719-255-3528

Contact Parking and Transportation Services for more information about parking citations and parking permits.

Residence Life and Housing - 719-255-4042

Contact Residence Life & Housing for more information about housing and meal charges.

Wellness Center - 719-255-4444

Contact the Wellness Center for more information about health services.


If you have any questions, or would like assistance in initiating a repayment agreement, please call SDM at (719) 255-3391, at 1-800-990-UCCS (8227), or contact us online today.  We want to work with you on your debt to UCCS.